Embedded Debian

Hi all,
I am currently trying to set an emedded Debian/Sarge up. Has anyone done
this befor? The system must contain:
- X-Server
- Networking (ssh etc.)
- Java runtime (better don't ask...)
Additional I want it to stay konsistent with the Debian-tree (no self-brewed
distro), so I need to use Debian utilitys.
Target platform is an 166Mhz Pentium, 32Mb of RAM and 512Mb of Flash (CF).

Hoping for some Ideas, Links, Tutorials.

Thanks, Stephan

Re: Embedded Debian

No problem at all. see debootsrap man page and get a CF reader that you
can plug into a debian machine...

--
    __
   /  `                       Eric Valette

Hm, don't think it's that easy. Just installing sarge (including X and
fvwm95) eats up 380Mb, leaving not much space for som user-data. I had
hoped there is a way to boil it down to something round 100Mb, without
deleting things manualy. From the size point of view, this should be
possible, e.g. look at Damn Small Linux.

Greetings, Stephan

Re: Embedded Debian

No. It you remove anything not needed keeping packages intact it fits in
256 MB. I'm running such a config actually. Install deborphan and
locolepurge and you will get quite some extra free space after using them.

leaving not much space for som user-data. I had

I managed to reach 10 Mb without X11 once but did remove unneeded binary
and files by hand.

--
    __
   /  `                       Eric Valette

Have you thought to embedded linux distributions ?

Re: Embedded Debian

Well, yes. I have looked around and found nothing that matches my needs,
because I want full function _and_ reduced size (actually size doesn't
matter that much, it's more about saving as much space as possible).
If you buy s.th. commercial (actually, a commercial distibution lies on my
desk...) you have to spend a lot of money for s.th. a standard distribution
offers for free. I also like to keep up Package-management, it simplyfies
updating and bugfixing I think, as running the same software on
development- and target-platform does.

Greetings, Stephan

Re: Embedded Debian

Sounds like Gentoo would suit your needs.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

My favorite is Koan Klinux
www.koansoftware.com
www.klinux.org
Their starter kit 'bronze' is very cheap, and is full GPL !!!
I have used klinux 2.0 in a project and I save a huge amount of time.
The application rewuired only 16M Disk On Module.
Now I am planning to migrate to an ARM architecture and Klinux support
almost all ARM processors.
Moreover the version I've purchased can generate every target architecture
with a single version, so now I can switch from x86 to ARM with no
additional expenses ;-)

Regards
/helix

Re: Embedded Debian
Have you looked at Elinos? Their entry level option used not to be
expensive. We have used version 2.x in our project as a starting point
and integrated Xwindow (kdrive) and our own stuff. The application
fitted in a 32M CF at that time. Eventually we switched to a home grown
alternative but Elinos provided an excelent starting point.

I presume you looked at Emdebian/EmDebSys and QPlus.

I guess this link may be useful:

HTH.

Re: Embedded Debian

I'm running Sarge on a small router (75 MHz Pentium, 16 MByte DRAM;
that Toshiba Libretto does a lot more than just routing).

IMHO DRAM size limits the usability most... especially for X and JRE.
Disk space shouldn't be that problem. Start with a debootstrapped
core installation;

- use small apps where possible, e.g. Boa or Thy instead of Apache
- avoid caching Debian packages after updates

Maybe using a small Java interpreter such as JamVM (or even a KVM) could
help? http://jamvm.sourceforge.net/ Debian package jamvm ...

Does it really have to run X? There are some other GUI environments
available for embedded which might be better suited, e.g. Microwindows
http://www.microwindows.org/ (but no Debian packages). If using X, you
should take care to choose just a light window manager, not KDE nor Gnome.

Kolja

Site Timeline