$40,000 Resistor

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

What colour is the power band on one of those?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I'd use a capacitor instead, but what do I know about power?

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Nahh, bad power factor with respect to the Sun.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

White. ;^)

-- W . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because \\|/ \\|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est

Bob Larter

" What we?re proposing is to add some fairly small and inexpensive resistors in the transformers? ground onnections. What we?re proposing is to add some fairly small and inexpensive resistors in the transformers? ground onnections. "

Lawrence Joseph hasn't a clue what he is talking about! Why spend $40,000 on a resistor when you could just reduce the area of the earth mat? ...because you really need that earth mat, so why add the resistor? A $40,000 resistor might potentially solve one problem but it creates many others far more serious.

"Ultra-high voltage transformers become more finicky as energy demands are greater. Around 50 percent already can?t handle the current they?re designed for."

Pure unadulterated bullshit!

"Kappenman: We?re still at the conceptual design phase, but we think it?s do-able for $40,000 or less per resistor. That?s less than what you pay for insurance for a transformer."

Except any utility of any appreciable size self insures anyway, any utility of any significance knows all about GIC, knows when it is likely to occur, can easily identify it happening, and has procedures to mitigate its effects.

YUMV (Your utility may vary)

Reply to
Mike

Can you imagine if the Earths magnetism reversed at the same time.

Goodbye.

greg

Reply to
GregS

nah the problem is large loops of wire.

reducing the the earth mats leaves the loops intact, inserting the resistors puts breaks in the loop.

if they were lower voltage but rated for the same power they would handle more common-mode current without saturating.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I think the "end of the world" will be more in the sense that the butterfly is the end of the caterpillar.

In fact, I'm eagerly anticipating it. I was hoping for W2K itself, but apparently the AD (CE) calendar didn't start until he was about 12. ;-)

"The events predicted for 2012 by the ancient Maya are not substantially different than those predicted by sages throughout the millennia. Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and other seers have predicted similar events marking 'the end of time.' And the Maya are only one of many indigenous cultures that have spoken of their deeply held vision for the events near and immediately after the end of time.

"All of these prophecies point to a relatively sudden awakening into much greater awareness for some or all of Humanity. What has been well hidden within the folds of your present four-dimensional world will be clearly revealed by the additional Light available in the unfolding of the new, five-dimensional world." ---

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Not to worry - it'll be the "end of the world" the same way that the butterfly is the end of the caterpillar. ;-)

Think outside the box! ;-D

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

The problem with a series capacitor is that the resulting RLC circuit's resonance might fall close to a system harmonic or mechanical (motor, generator) resonance. Nasty things happen.

A limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical.
        But the good ones I\'ve seen
        So seldom are clean,
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Polar bears would migrate to the south pole, penguins to the north.

If Mama Cass had just split that ham sandwich with Karen Carpenter,
they\'d both be alive today.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

[snip]

The IPv6 cutover?

Free the Mallocs!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Page 43 of

states

"A capacitor in the neutral of a wye-connected power transformer has been determined by the University of Minnesota and Minnesota Power to be the most effective point at which to place devices for blocking or limiting the flow of GICs into and out of the power system."

Series capacitor compensation on lines works wonders too. Hydro Quebec had to do that to make its system more robust against geomagnetically induced currents.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Here in the US? ANSI 61 gray. And they are typographically marked, on a stamped steel nameplate.

Reply to
JosephKK