which all

for one

found a

circuit

for the

(5Watt)

scale. Im

This

1) No problem with buying a higher wattage than you need, as long as it fits in the circuit. Resistors are rated for maximum wattage -- how much wattage they can take before they get too hot and fuse, burn, or permanently change their resistance value. Any less than full power, and they'll just be cooler. Higher wattage resistors are usually physically bigger, though, so you should keep that in mind if space is limited. 2) If your meter is OK, your 1.2 ohms might just be contact, wire and probe resistance. But you should check to see that it's not measuring on a higher range, because your two resistors almost certainly have different values. The one that says R39 is 0.39 ohms, and the one that says 39R is 39 ohms. Big difference, but if your ohmmeter is measuring megohms, they both look like a short circuit. Check things out carefully before you plug in the 39R one.

Here's how the euro method of labelling resistors works:

R39 0.39 ohms

3R9 3.9 ohms 39R 39 ohms 390R 390 ohms 3K9 3.9 Kohms 39K 39 Kohms 390K 390 Kohms 3M9 3.9 Megohms

and so on. If you see three digits, that usually means a 1 or 2 percent resistor. For instance, 3K92 would mean a 3.92K 1% or 2% resistor. This isn't too difficult once you get the hang of it, and it's a lot harder to miss a "K" on a print than a decimal point, especially if it's a fourth generation Xerox.

Hope this has been of help.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

Im a hobyest and I have a couple of questions.

I was looking for a .39 ohm 1 Watt Resistor. I went to 3 places which all didnt have it. I guess I could mail order it but it seems kinda dumb for one resistor.

So I bought a resistor that was 5 Watts .39 . at one place and then found a

2 Watt .39 Resistor at the other. My first question is since the circuit calls for a 1 Watt resistor I suppose either one would work? Its a very simple circut.

The second question relates to labeling of the resistors. The Bill for the one resistor says 39R and the actual lettering on the OTHER resistor (5Watt) resistor says R39. I tested them with a meter and they both say 1.2 ohms on the 200 scale. Im asuming that the meter just cant read the .39 so they really are .39.

Why does it seem that 39 (with no decimal point ) can stand for .39 . This seems mis leading ??

Can anyone clarify this.

Reply to
Macdonald

True.

Yes. You can always use a higher wattage resistor at the same value.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

Thanks all again.

I have never come across the R39 scheme before. In the past I have only delt with 1/4 watt Resistors and had never know about the "Euopean" method of listing resistors. I also have never had to have .00 Resistors either so that was a bit new. Normally I just looked at the color bands, which all up to this point had been 1 or above.

Thanks. I learned something.

Reply to
Macdonald