Unknown Zener-Diode ???

Hello, I've got a problem. A friend of mine managed to plug in the power supply of his external harddrive upside down, which damaged both, harddrive and usb-interface. Now I'm trying to repair at least the harddisk, which has short-circuit in the 5V-supply-line, caused by a defective Zener-Diode. As it is an SMD-Diode it has no value written on it, but :

GE R610

If I had to guess, I would say it is a 5.1V, but I'm not sure. So can anybody help me. BTW the harddrive is a Seagate Barracuda 320GB/7200rpm.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Reply to
Christian Skrajewski

DC inputs often have a regular diode across them with the anode to the + side to limit damage in the event of reverse polarity. Try just removing the diode and see if it works.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias

Sorry - that should read CATHODE to the + side.

Mark Z.

Reply to
Mark D. Zacharias