Class 1 Laser Diode

I need to make a laser pointer for a profoundly disabled friend. It needs only to point 3 inches so I'm looking for a Class 1 laser diode that will be safe for him despite his erratic movements. Any help in locating a Class 1 laser diode that would be appropriate would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks.

Trish

Reply to
Patty

So an ordinary dollar-store pointer is too dangerous? Must it be a laser? How about a shadow-masked LED?

Reply to
Wond

a laser?

Thanks for your reply. My friend is a quadriplegic who can't speak. He has limited movement in one hand, but he hasn't the ability to reach in order to get close enough to the letters on a communication board to designate them. I'm not knowledgeable at all in this area, but from experimenting I can see that a laser would work - if I could make it safe for him. Could you explain what a shadow-masked LED is and point me to a URL explaining how I could fabricate or where I could purchase one? I'd appreciate that!

Thank you.

Trish

Reply to
Patty

I only meant to suggest, a light-tight cover over the LED with a suitable hole in it. It could be a single-led fey-fob light with tape over it!

Reply to
Wond

Hi

I tried 160 lumen flashlight with this FPO-06-AA7 Fiber Optic Adapter (

-DQ&ved=3D0CDUQ8wIwAw ) but just the reflection was seen, not the beam and he couldn't reach far enough to designate all 26 letters of the alphabet.

I also tried covering the lense of flashlight with black electrical tape with a small hole in it. Then the beam was then too wide to specify one letter.

Thanks again.

Pat

It

in

be

He

?

h a suitable

Reply to
Patty

=A0It

diode

help in

it be

speak. He

in

from

point me

one?

with a suitable

So it is a collimating issue then a brightness issue. A focused LED sounds a lot safer! LED power is a lot easier to modulate (though you = can PWM a laser diode to the intended average power the peak and short time power envelopes are not all that favorable). I found some publicly available exposure information from IEC standards once, i would give you the links of i had them handy.

Reply to
josephkk