110Mbs High speed digital isolators

device

where were you headed? faster than 10Mbit/s ethernet doesn't use 2-level signalling

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I think 10BASE-T arrived with or after 100BASE-T, and likely uses the same signal structure. The original thicknet and thinnet 100 mbit signals were 0 to -2 volts on coax, as described above.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I believe 10Base-T was well before 100Base-T, but maybe not (history?

- WikiPedia isn't very good, here).

The point wasn't clear, though. 10Base-T *is* 10Mbit and I'm almost positive it's Manchester encoded. I'm less certain about 100Base-T, but pretty sure about it, too. They are *very* similar (except the datarate, obviously).

Reply to
krw

Quite a bit before.

Newp. 100BaseTx incorporated 4B5B and MLT3. MLT3 got swiped from FDDI.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

You are correct, sir.

Worthless on that particular subject.

Right, as I recall.

100BaseTX uses 4B5B and ... okay, I hadda cheat - MLT-3, which was borrowed from FDDI. Other variants of 100BaseT besides 100BaseTX use something else. I don't remember them being interoperable.
--
Les Cargill
Reply to

neat

DC.

transitions

I miss

Manchester

polarity

with

Thus i will guess that you are somewhat familiar AMI, B8ZS, B3ZS, and similar telecom standard line codings.

Yep, that is more or less how i got them. Bless the sponsors.

OK then. The Ethernet issue is cleared. Now back to these particular line drivers, which may very well not use Ethernet standards.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz

*SAME*

So far as i can tell, 100BaseTX (twisted pair) was a commercial success and 100 Mbit on coax didn't really work. AFAICT the only somewhat interoperable systems for coax and twisted pair was 10 MBit/s. Oh well.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

There must be a typo here, since I have never heard of using coaxial cables for 100 mbit/s ethernet. 10base-5 Thicknet used RG-8/RG-213 coaxial cable with vampire taps and 10base-2 Thinnet used RG-58 coaxial cable.

The vampire taps were originally so expensive that the first "Ethernet" network I built, did not contain any coaxial cable at all:-). The network interface cards on computers at those days had only the 15 pin AUI (essentially RS-422 with handshake) connector to be connected to an external Ethernet transceiver.

To avoid the transceiver costs, I used an AUI hub (DELNI) to connect the computers and terminal servers in the computer room and additionally there was a long AUI cable to the other end of the office to connect a terminal server.

So conceptually the 10base-T with hubs is nothing new, however, the CAT 5 cable is much easier to handle than the thick AUI cables :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

[snip]

Only remotely, not being in telcoms. Though I did read the original T1 articles in the BSTJ, when they were first published.

But I spent more time with HDLC and ADCCP, as I was using them in systems.

Yes. The 802 committee is by far the largest and richest standards group in the IEEE, and simply bought the publication rights from the IEEE.

Well, the history will continue to be sorted out a bit more. IEEE 802.3 is huge, and the clause numbers are roughly date stamps.

But the technical issue is understood.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Oops. You are right. I should have said 10 mbit.

Absolutely. Thats why the twisted-pair PMDs were invented. By the way, CAT3 is just ordinary telephone quad wire used to connect telephones.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The best way to settle this is to read the 802.3 standard. The clause numbers are roughly date stamps.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

The probably are not interoperable, given the different PMD (Physical Media Dependent) identifiers. Only the 10/100/1000 series (with the same trailing field, like -T or -TX) are interoperable, so the default assumption is non operability.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

AC

diagnose

coax

*SAME*

Fortunately it is free for the asking:

It seems that for 100Base* most of it is in section 2.

I just don't have copies on every computer to browse through.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

he said "coax", that's 10-base-5 or 10-base-2

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

ITYM "CDDI"

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

CAT1 is ordinary phone cable,

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

we use Silab devices

halong

Bookmarked.

Very cool - it uses RF! Good down to DC and they don't have any weird initialization. Price is a whole lot better as well.

Thanks.

Reply to
JW

Well, the fuller story is that 802.3 took ordinary premise cable of the day and standardized it, to reduce variation from spool to spool, manufacturer to manufacturer.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn