0V reference

Cr2O3. CrO isn't very stable in air (though Cr3O4 might be, I'm not sure), CrO2 takes work to make I think, and CrO3 is rather reactive, not to mention carcinogenic. ;-)

But it's not so much the Cr2O3 as it is the three-way alloy that has so much bulk resistance. All those weird atoms really break up the electron flow. (Typical stainless is 10-20% Cr, 5-10% Ni, balance Fe, with smaller amounts of Mn, Si, C, and impurities of S, P, etc.)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Are you referring to the capacity of the brain that is there?

Reply to
Robert Baer

My uncle.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thankyou all for such a good response. I'm now using a 0 ohm resistor to ground with a 0 uF capacitor to the 0V rail and getting very good results. Again, thanks for all the very informative assistance.

Fred Bear

Reply to
Fred Bear

Oh, foo! Got an answer already? I was going to do the obvious one:

+----- 0V | | ------- ----- ---

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Spehro,

Probably. In Europe they offered devices called "Atomstromseparator" to greenies, who of course had to part with oodles of cash to get one. These were claimed to separate the power coming along the mains line and reject any that was generated at a nuclear power station :-)))

I bet the profit margins were somewhere north of 99.9%. Don't remember if they came with a complimentary tin foil hat or whether that cost extra.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

The Wikipedia article on it seems to say it was intended as a joke ('Scherz')... but it's in German so I'm depending on a bad machine translation.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hello Spehro,

It says "zumeist als Scherz", meaning "mostly as a joke". I remember reading ads for that stuff in papers and stories about people who actually fell for it.

This is unfortunately also only in German but it's a notice from an organization similar to what a Department of Consumer Affairs would be over here:

Looks like some people must have really bought those separators for a whopping 949 Euros. Ouch!

There is a whole lot of pure quack out there and many folk don't have the wits to see through it. That's what is exploited. Just the same as with the Frankenfood-Detector mentioned in that link about.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Is this for 3-phase DC?

Reply to
Jon

Please be advised that due to the tolerance of 1 percent, that you might have a *negative* zero ohm resistor!

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Tue, 16 May 2006 04:02:10 GMT, Robert Baer Gave us:

Please be advised that you know nothing about electronics OR math!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Jorg

and all others who think that this Atomstromseperator is some real hardware:

best regards

-

Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser

Please be advised, DimBulb, that you have negative zero sense of humor (and less intelligence).

--
  Keith
Reply to

Hello Michael,

Sure, but there have been quite a few attempts by other parties to milk unsuspecting consumers for lots of cash:

(sorry, only comes in German)

I guess it's more or less over now. Today, as gas prices are skyrocketing sure enough there are the quacks again. This time all kinds of super-duper-fuel-efficiency gizmos are being hawked.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

On Tue, 16 May 2006 10:57:12 -0400, Keith Gave us:

As if a retarded f*ck like you could ever approach making a valid assessment of someone else.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Yimppin' yimminy, you eggzactly dew not git 'tiz a yolk, son.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Surely you meant fuch

Reply to
Rob*

I guess I'm not the only one who's noticed Roy Fuchs.

We should ask Mrs. Roy if he's any good at it. ;-P

Reply to
Bobo The Chimp
[snip]

You are way behind the masses. We have all PLONKED his royal Fuchs.

...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 17 May 2006 08:59:13 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

You're an idiot.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs