Unknown component called "SG"

Hi, I came across several small, ceramic capacitor-like components today, though they would make rather obese C's ;-) Their labels read "1kV", and they sit on a CRT board from a small monitor right next to the tube socket. The identifier printed on the PCB is "SG". Does anybody know what these components are and whether they're worth unsoldering? Maybe a kind of surge suppressor?

Thanks and regards, Leo

Reply to
Leo Meyer

Spark Gap

A kind of high voltage spike supressor.

Reply to
James Beck

Look for a narrow saw cut which is the actual gap. If there isn't one, it is possibly an HV capacitor.

HTH

--
Graham W   http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
WIMBORNE   http://www.wessex-astro-society.freeserve.co.uk/ Wessex

though

sit

The SG stands for Spark Gap. Makes sense once you read the 1kV, eh?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

read

worth

No, it doesn't have to have a saw cut. Some spark gaps are actually two metallic buttons with the convex faces facing each other. The spark gap is the area where the two faces are closest. They are totally covered in a dip which makes them look similar to a ceramic disk cap. Some ceramic disk caps have a saw cut, which is also a spark gap.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th