unknown component

I have a component I am trying to identify. It consists of a glass tube about 3/4" long and 1/8" diameter. Inside this tube are 2 blades that look like the might contact each other where they overlap slightly. There is a wire coming in from either end into the glass tube and the ends are fused shut(melted) The only markings on the outside are as follows: RS 338 147 Can anyone identify what this is?

Thanks, BV

Reply to
bvolcko

Hook up an ohmmeter and wave a magnet near it.

JeffM

In message , " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com" writes

Reed relay!

Ian
Reply to
Ian Jackson

it.http://www.google.com/images?q=reed-switch

Thats it! a reed switch........thanks

Reply to
bvolcko

other

es?q=3Dreed-switch

They are widely used in magnet/reed switch intrusion detectors.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Also in 45 rpm jukebox applications as the end-of-record trip switch.

Reply to
Ken Layton

I need 1 or 2 of these and am having trouble finding a source. Does anyone know of a source for small quantity? In the US. Thanks. BV

Reply to
bvolcko

Search "reed relay"

Reply to
Don Bowey

Do a _browser_ search "reed". The best price. Recommended.

Jonesy

--
  Marvin L Jones    | jonz          | W3DHJ  | linux
   38.24N  104.55W  |  @ config.com | Jonesy |  OS/2

I've bought a number of them on ebay, they're cheap.

Reply to
James Sweet