Unknown component

I have a component I am trying to identify. It consists of a glass tube about 3/4" long and 1/8" diameter. Inside this tube are 2 blades that look like the might contact each other where they overlap slightly. There is a wire coming in from either end into the glass tube and the ends are fused shut(melted) The only markings on the outside are as follows: RS 338 147 Can anyone identify what this is?

Thanks, BV

Reply to
bvolcko

Sound like a reed switch. Uses a magnet or magnetic field to operate it.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio        http://www.electronics.sandrila.co.uk/
Reply to
Paul Herber

Reed switch.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thank you all....Its definitely a reed switch

Reply to
bvolcko

I am having trouble finding a source for this switch. Can anyone direct me to a source for 1 0 2 of these components?

BV

Reply to
bvolcko

method=sea...

part# 22RD-5 or -12 or -24 for various coil voltages. These come pre-wound with a coil. I didn't see any of the bare-glass types. $1.50, 10+ are $1.10.

Reply to
Roland Latour

Found the bare-glass type:

95c, 10+ are 86c.
Reply to
Roland Latour

I am surprised this stuff can handle 500mA and 1A continuously when making. We have plenty of these in the matrix boards (128 of then in one card) used in the telephone exchange that I worked. They are smaller and carry less current. The problem was that they get sticky after few tens of thousand times of switching on and off. Had to change them frequently.

Allen

Reply to
Allen