Switcher IC

I've seen ICs made specifically for video/audio switching...are there any that are just generic? Say I just wanted to use it to switch the path of a DC signal, or maybe I had a USB cable being routed through it...just something that would purely be the equivelent of touching the wires together with no processing. If not, are there any schematics that would give me a circuit capable of doing this same thing? Ideally it would be controlled by a low voltage signal, like a GPI trigger.

Reply to
bloodyworkdamnyou

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

DG211 is generic I think, they've been around for years and more than one firm makes them. They're 16 pin DIL IC's containing 4 SPST switches each with 50 ohm on resistance. You can make other combinations like DPST, or even DPDT, and if you need certified break-before-make you can use a resistor and a capacitor on some inputs to delay them by controllable amounts.

http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Lostgallifreyan wrote in news:Xns97E45838C4C20lostgallifreyangmail@140.99.99.130:

To add stuff... meant control inputs. Logic 0 is on. DG212 is available that reverses this.

They're available in SOIC too.

And being based on FET's the switch contacts are drain and source.

http://save.nazanin.googlepages.com/home
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

The 'generic' term, is a bilateral switch. One of the oldest, is the CMOS

4016/66 gate, which is four relatively high impedance examples, in an IC. This has been used over the years to switch a variety of analog, and logic signals. Some DC/AC solid-state relays, use the same basic technology, but with opto-isolation added. Sanyo, do the LC4966. Maxim does a whole range, including some different layouts (DPDT etc.). Intersil do the DG411/412. There are dozens of examples around, including some specifically built as multiplexors (effectively 'change over' relays). AD, do a number of these.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

Depending upon the actual requirements the common 4066

is fairly useful for audio signal levels.

Other manfs' have their own devices such as Analog Devices

DC switching is not really the province of CMOS switches except at very low current levels.

This manufacturer

makes IC devices capable of switching 250mA continuous.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

As others have mentioned, the 4066 chip might do the trick (but I haven't tried one yet). Below is a page I have showing simple video/audio switching using transistors. Bottom is my test setup where you can switch between the cable, satellite, and analog cam inputs.

Si Ballenger

Read my first post on this thread and get the data sheet.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

4066 ?
--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

I've seen the 4066 before and the actual connection between the pins will do what I want, but the control of it is the same as just having 4 relays it seems...correct me if I'm wrong, but you need 1 control signal per connection? What I'm looking for would be basically like a stepper relay....I just haven't seen a stepper relay with the amount of connections I need.

Basically, if I have about 10 or 12 different sources, each dual pole, and I want to be able to switch between them using two control signals, is there a single IC solution? If not, any possible solution or place I could look for one?

Reply to
bloodyworkdamnyou

4 to 16 line multiplexer. requires 4 input binary coded digit to select one of the 16 lines. you can combine 2 switches in the 4066 chip to switch on the same source signal. you can use something line a AVR,PIC etc.. to control if that makes it easier for you. or a simple binary flipflop chip for an up and down counter.
--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

There is no single chip device which will do what you are asking for without additional circuitry.

Basically, what you are looking for is a 2 channel audio switchbox which allows you to select 1 - n input sources using UP and DOWN buttons or other input selection system, and routing the selected input to a single output (ie, 1 - n input > 1 output). All of the analog switches (such as the 4066) are just basic building blocks to which you must add appropriate logic to achieve the desired functions.

Reply to
Ross Herbert