Source for 2x3 .1" dual-row header?

I'm looking for a shrouded (and polarized) header, .1" spaced dual row pins,

2x3. I.e., identical to what one normally sees in, say, 2x5, 2x20, etc. sizes in something like a PC motherboard... but with 6 pins total.

Mouser sells the crimp-on (IDC) connector (made by FCI), but not the corresponding box header. I know such things exist since Atmel uses one on a PC board of theirs I have.

Anyone have a source?

Thanks,

---Joel Kolstad

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I just use a pair of 1x3 headers clipped from a longer "snappable" pin header.

Actually, I *usually* use the 2x5 configuration. Parts are easier to find and that setup interleaves signal and ground on the ribbon cable.

Speaking of parts, could you part with the part number for the 2x3 IDC receptacle? The one place I used to be able to get them doesn't seem to be around any more ...

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

AMP 2-1437020-0

We got some from Electrospec, Dover NJ. Their web page says $100 min and they don't sell to individuals.

-- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.

Reply to
Hal Murray

Hi Rich,

Yeah, that does work...

I have been thinking about doing that. It's really too bad that 2x3 headers/IDC receptacles haven't really caught on -- there are many cases where I only need, say, 2-4 signals and would readily justify just dropping a 2x3 header on a board, but upping the ante to a 2x5 header is often a little more than I'm up for.

Sure, it's mouser part #649-71600-306 (FCI part #71600-306). It doesn't have a center polarizing tab, but it does have an indented polarizing rib.

It turns out that Mouser does sell 2x3 headers with "ears" in both the vertical and right angle configurations; I might just go with one of those. Someone else mentioned that the header Atmel uses comes from Harting in Germany, and doesn't appear to be available in the U.S. in small quantities.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

This part does have the center polarizing tab, which is a nice feature!

Sounds like a typical "old school" non-stocking distributor... and they wonder why DigiKey, Mouser, and even folks like Jameco are growing so rapidly?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad
[snip...snip...]

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that it was Futurlec where I found some, once upon a time, but they're not there any more. They were the same configuration, without the key but with the indented slot.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to