Dual header pad layout

Spent an hour getting nothing so time to ask --

Dual row unshrouded male pin header (.100 pitch)40 pins.

The surface mount part shows a pad layout of .340 across total width and then of course 40 pads at .100 pitch

My PCB design doesn't have a specific part for these so would the pad layout of a generic smd IC of some sort work ? or something?

-- thanks

Reply to
mkr5000

plus can anyone point me to a definitive guide just a page or 2 that illustrates the common SMD IC packages WITH their pad layouts (and maybe some other common parts as well) I'm not having any luck finding something that says it all in ONE place.

Reply to
mkr5000

Just go ahead and make a footprint in exact accordance with the connector manufacturer's recommendations. Don't screw around, do it right. You will have to do this many times in the future.

Some EDA programs have 'wizards' that speed up creating such patterns.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

These days the manufacturer usually includes recommended pad layout for connectors. Check the data sheet/mechanical drawing.

Most layout packages make creating such a footprint very easy. SMD connectors usually turn the pins outward from the center, so the pads will be much wider than the body of the connector and wider than the same pad layout in through hole mount.

--

Rick C
Reply to

If it were "just a page or two", it wouldn't be definitive. It wouldn't even be "vague"!

The definitive guide is IPC-7351A, which is available freely (more or less), do a search. More importantly, the IPC provides calculations for different pin/pad shapes and types of solder joints, so that you can create a reasonable footprint for almost any part imaginable.

In general, library footprints are total crap. Always check against the manufacturer's data at least, but preferably, make it IPC compliant as well. (In general, manufacturers' data isn't even very good, either.)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

We use these FCI in a 16 pin configuration and just followed the pad size in the drawing. No problems.

Chisolm
Republic of Texas
Reply to
Joe Chisolm

Have a look at I have not found your connector there, but you will find many symbols and footprints for different CAD packages, as well as prices and availability.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Yeah ok. I'll just copy the footprint and remember to do that. Newbie at SMD and your right, best to have it exact and get it done.

Reply to
mkr5000