chipsource = crooks ?

Hello

did anybody encounter problems with Chipsource ?

I've purchased components which were almost all defective (98% of 500 parts). The problem is that they have shipped the parts 3 weeks before the scheduled date, and the time I tested them the guarantee had expired (1 month only !). The guarantee terms don't appear in their documents (offer, invoice,...). They of course refuse any return or refund.

what is it possible to do ?

Denis

Reply to
snide

How did you pay?

Reply to
<me

That's a very curious number. If it were 100% then it would probably be mislabeled parts/forgeries. If it were 10% or 30% it might be a factory-reject lot. Both of those cases are way too common on the gray market. But 98%, that I have never seen.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

On 6 Oct 2005 11:27:42 -0700, "Tim Shoppa" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The top layer (?) may have been the real thing, while the rest may have been forgeries. I heard it happened this way 10-15 years ago when RAM was scarce.

For example, I've seen fake SRAM cache on 486 mainboards. Parts with the same dodgy number (AA26256AK-15) are being offered for sale through

a chip broker.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Denis -

I came here to push findyourparts.com (a growing website of reliable independent stocking distributors) and saw your post. I think I know what happened. Sounds like your parts are from China. They have a habit of taking some good parts, remarking some wrong ones, and filling the order. The testing period of 30 days (also quite common to Chinese parts) and my own experience with Chinese vendors (as a "gray market" distributor who is but one company at findyourparts.com) is what brings me to that conclusion. Another factor is the availbility of the parts. Did any US vendors (that you know of) have stock? Did that part ever even make it to the open market? These are all warning signals that EVERY component buyer should know. If you MUST buy parts under these conditions, save yourself some trouble and ask for testing and even offer to pay for it if necessary. It's a lot cheaper in the long run. There's always going to be some acceptable fallout (say 1% or whatever for your company) but typically you don't pay for failures when they have been tested.

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Reply to
michael

I was just going to say the same thing. If it was with a credit card then you may have some recourse through them. If it was through paypal/ebay there may also be some protection.

James.

Reply to
James Morrison

Thanks for your answer.

Chipsource first said the parts were from Digikey. A check with Digikey showed that their guarantee for defective parts is of 3 months.

After we reported it to Chipsource, they said that the supplier was finally not Digikey, and refused to say who he was !

Denis

Reply to
snide

I suspect this lot to have travelled for years (date code = 1997), and that previous "victims" already have picked up as many good parts as possible after tests.

Denis

Reply to
snide

We have payed before the shipment, so now it's too late.

Denis

Reply to
snide