SCR, GTO or IGBT ?

Hi,

I'd like to experiment with some pulsed power applications (ie. capacitor bank 1.2 kV, 1000 uF discharged via a solid state switch through an inductor). Most circuits I have seen seem to use an SCR. However I'd like to be able to switch the thing off (before the capacitor has fully discharged). Would this be easier with a GTO thyristor or an IGBT?

Thanks,

colin

PS. No comments necessary regarding dangers of high vltages and inductive kick-back - thanks :)

Reply to
Colin Howarth

Colin Howarth wrote in news:elvgu8$tfd$03$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t- online.com:

IGBT I think. They're used in laser flash lamp supplies, I think they can be used as part of a pulse shaping circuit, being able to switch off the supply as you're wanting to do.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

IGBT's work well. An output inductor can be useful to limit the di/dt in case of short circuit on the output; this gives time to measure the output current and disable the drive to the IGBT when the current gets to max allowable value; otherwise the peak power dissipation can QUICKLY destroy the IGBT

Reply to
dmalone

dmalone@ pacifier.com wrote WITHOUT CONTEXT:

"How to Post to Usenet" http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:SXIajvWUVHAJ:groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py=answer=12348+Tempting-though-it-is-*-*-*-*-*-*+remove-*-*-*-irrelevant+STOP+zz-zz+qq+BOTTOM+if-your-reply-appears-on-a-site-before-the-original-article-does+uu+Usenet

Reply to
JeffM