Remove ferric chloride stains with Coca-Cola?

This afternoon, at the lab, I removed a ferric chloride stain from the workbench with a paste of citric acid and water (given 2 hours to work).

Reading up on the chemistry, I see indications that a mixture of citric and phosphoric acids should work better...

...which means Coca-Cola should remove ferric chloride stains. Has anybody tried it?

Also, oxalic acid is supposed to be very effective. It is the active ingredient in Bar Keepers Friend powdered cleanser. (Bar Keepers Friend liquid is citric acid.)

The idea is to convert FeCl into another iron salt that is light-colored and highly soluble in water.

Any other favorite remedies? (Other than to etch the printed circuit boards with ammonium persulfate instead?)

Reply to
mc

from the

to work).

of citric and

Has anybody

active

Keepers Friend

light-colored and

circuit boards

etch with CuCl instead ?

i guess i will get zapped for responding as this is the wrong group ? maybe misc or basics better

hth

Reply to
robb

You can't etch copper with a copper salt.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

oops my bad ...

i was meaning to talk about using Cupric Chloride or CuCl2 (aq) solution i suppose as a regenerate-able copper etchant and that can be made simply as a result of using easily available Hydrochloric + Peroxide etchant and regenerate with air bubbles or other faster means ...

no ferruc chloride stains and there is plenty of info on the web about it.....

here is a good link so that i do not mis-inform see

did i improve Eeyore ? :) hth robb

Reply to
robb

Brendan Gillatt wrote: (snip)

(snip)

(snip)

Interesting. The last bottle of Naval Jelly that I bought was specifically for removing rust from steel and leaving a surface that allows primer to adhere well.

--
Michael
Reply to

Thanks for posting that - it's surprising, and gives one hope.

I thought the only way to remove ferric chloride stains was with an axe, or an explosive charge, or a flamethrower - something like that. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ospho