Re: Looking for IC components store in Los Angeles

> HI,

> > > I am looking for a store in Los Angeles area that I can go and shop for > > IC circuits and components. Where should I look for stores like this > > and if anyone know any stores of this kind? > > > Check out the local Fry's electronics. Not that they have that > great a selection, tho. It depends on what you want.

I'll 2nd the request. Any good places near L.A.? Fry's only carries some NTE parts. Signal Electronics in Torrance carries even smaller amounts of NTE, but also has a few dozen JameCo.com and an equal amount of Philmore parts; i.e., nothing to brag about. Torrance electronics seems a little better in some areas, perhaps harder to find NTE & JameCo parts, but has less over all unless they're hiding them behind the counter; e.g., just found a Sample & Hold chip at Torr. Electronics that Fry's and Signal only have in their dreams.

Isn't there anything in the entire L.A. or Orange county? Something like a nearby Digikey would be outrageous! :-)

Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

All Electronics in Van Nuys and C&H Surplus in Pasadena have common hobbyist parts and a real good selection of consumer and industrial surplus (aka "junk").

Marvac Electronics stores are in the region, they mostly do repair-oriented stuff but they are more than just ECG/NTE.

Nothing like the selection available overnight from Digi-Key/Mouser/etc. though.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Pickings are generally slim. I'll echo Shoppa's Digi-Key/Mouser advice.

You can try Action Electronics in Santa Ana near Edinger & Grand (next-door to where the ACP Swap Meet is held). Orvac is in Fullerton near Orangethorpe & Raymond. Tim already mentioned Marvac (Costa Mesa et al).

Reply to
JeffM

I used to go here all the time - they had a whole wall of ICs in drawers, but I think even they're cutting back:

(if it wraps in your newsreader, you'll have to reconstitute it in your address bar) I guess you could call them - there's a kinda mini-mall of electronics and computer stuff and surplus, or there was 15 or so years ago.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

...or YOU could remove the useless junk from the link:

I beat you to the mention anyway by about an hour and a half (but no link). Is it propagating to your server that slowly? . .

They have a website that is kinda decent for content

--though their webmaster is clueless on the basics:

JeffM

...or YOU could remove the useless junk from the link:

I beat you to the mention anyway by about an hour and a half (but no link). Is it propagating to your server that slowly? . .

They have a website that is kinda decent for content

--though their webmaster is clueless on the basics:

JeffM

Electonic City in Burbank tends toward broadcast equipment but has a fair number of semiconductors 1N, 2N,'LS and such, cable, connectors. Also try ITC and Ametron. Panther parts (No Hollywood) has lots of capacitors. TAW in Burbank has 1% resistors. Digi-Key is as near as your phone.

Irritating isn't it? 2nd largest metro area in the country and you KNOW what you want is here SOMEWHERE -- but WHERE???

GG

Reply to
stratus46

That's good to know about the 1% resistors. I guess there's always micro pots. Does Panther also have precision caps? Decades ago there used to be a ITC in Torrance. Loved the place. Back then it was a sort of surplus of electrical parts and equipment. I remember them having boxes of old ferrite rods taken from radios. I see they're out in L.A., very cool.

BTW, Radio shack seems to have a nice little parts lists.

Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

Thanks for replies. I wanted to conclude that Torrance Electronics seems to be the best in my area. Initially they may appear small, but behind the counter are rows of shelves filled with parts. Over the last month I've taken numerous lists of parts ranging from sample & holds to discretes. On rare occasion did Fry's and Signal Electronics have them, but in every case Torrance Electronics had every part.

... my 2 cents. Just thought I'd give Torrance Electronics a free plug and A+ as far as retailing is concerned. I have no affiliation with Torrance Electronics.

Paul

Reply to
pmlonline

Any preferences between Digikey and Mouser? I'm looking for a 2SK170 fet. Mouser returns two transistors and claims they are a cross reference for 2SK170, but they must have some bug on their site because both parts are diodes. Digikey on the other hand returns no results.

Paul

Reply to
pmlonline