Phase comparator

Hi, I would like to compare the phase of two 40 MHz signals and get an output voltage proportional to their phase shift. Although I found some phase comparator ICs like MM54C932,MM74C932 , TC5081BP and CD4046BC,Its not clear to me that they work properly with 40Mhz Input and 3.3 output voltage. Regards, Rajeev

Reply to
rajeev.komarian

They probably won't work up there.

They are also intended for use in phase locked loops, where conditions define the design. I don't know whether that would affect use in your application.

The good news is that you are talking about two signals of the same frequency, rather than trying to lock one signal to another. In that case, any mixer will do, since non of the complications of a wide frequency difference are in effect.

So a double balanced mixer of some sort will do. If the signals are already digital, an exclusive-or gate will do.

Sort of long before there were IC phase locked loops, all phase comparators were analog. And they all pretty much amounted to a double balanced mixer of some sort. Maybe not today, but it used to be that any introduction to PLLs would start with a description of a basic PLL and it would be using an analog phase comparator.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Michael Black wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@darkstar.example.net:

Agreed. I'd go with that too. And if the signals aren't clean sharp rectagle waves, a fast Schmitt triggerIC might be enough to prepare them for the XOR. If you need to experiment with hysteresis to clean up noise you can use a dual video bandwith op=amp and build two Schmitt triggers with that.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

innews: snipped-for-privacy@darkstar.example.net:

Hi

Is the application only for phase detection or a complete synthesizer module. 40MHz you say.?

How about other ics such as the NE564N @50MHz by signetics.. Then there is the compare only ecl version MC12040P that should cover anything up to 80MHz.

KW

Reply to
kilowatt

snipped-for-privacy@darkstar.example.net:

tagle

XOR.

sorry for iintruding in but i have a similar problem only my sine waves are 125 hz does the same solution apply to my problem and arent there any Ic's available that i could use

Reply to
FK