Panel mounted RJ45 sockets.

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:UqednVgZ4osqzmrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Nice. Very small considering they also do IDC connections. I'm sorted for now but if I ever want more that two, that's where I'll go. Though there is still a lot to be said for having the cable attached as a molded form too. That little advantage outweighed the trouble of having to devise my own mountings.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

They also have panel mounted couplers, so you can plug a connector into the back side. Then you can crimp a custom cable for use inside the equipment. I found them while looking for something else on their site and thought it would help if someone found this thread in a future search.

You can download their entire catalog, or individual sections. The entire catalog is 38 MB.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:AYidneFVm60PYWrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks, I'll get that (at least in part). I agree, the panel mounted coupler is neat. I sort of came close to that idea with the VGA in the case I'm making, as the standard 1/4" long threaded spacers will work with a standard moulded VGA HD15 line socket so it can be mounted behind a panel and form a panel socket with proper anchorage for a line plug. That saved me half of an awkward job. I think that versatility has been lost with the arrival of FireWire and USB, though I guess they make up for it in other ways.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Sometimes it's better to spend $5 or $10 on a part, rather than half a day coming up with a half assed mess. ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:3YWdnUlqnZLmqmXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Is true, if I can find it when I need it... Ò^O So long as the answer is neat and easily had I'm ok with it. I wouldn't do what I did if I wanted to make lots though.

It's sort of like a question someone asked me once: How much does a transistor cost? I told them the cheapest I could remember at the time, and said 10 pence. They said a million pounds. The real answer is anywhere between the two, and depends on how much you have to do to get it. :) My logic said that if I couldn't find a thing, the next best thing was to adapt the closest cheap mass-produced thing I could easily reach.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

When I started working with transistors they were around $10 each for the ones I needed. That was in the early to mid '60s.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:zLOdnUfQepidDmXWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

60's dolars too. :) I guess that's why my first radio didn't get built. It was the 70's, the transistors were germanium OC70 and OC71, and I don't think my dad had any idea where to get them, never mind what they cost at the time.
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

The sad thing was that just a couple years later the same transistors started showing up surplus for 50 cents.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:TqudncQPAOg48mTWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Reminds me of laser diodes. :)

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

DON'T LOOK!!! ;-)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:V9SdnVuk- J3wK2TWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

No worries, my eyes are safe enough, I'm too dazzled by the ratio of price when buying to price when wanting to sell, to look at them that often.. Actually the 'correct' way to go is to buy a box, then sell a few at a time to recover the cost, and use what's left. Usually plenty. But I haven't been able to look for a long time, there haven't been that many fast changes for a while either, except for blue ones, which are worth watching. Romours exist of green ones, but only as lab tests. But the bright green and bright blue LEDs sort of developed together, and there's no shortage of demand for green to help shring tiny laser projectors. I'm boring myself rigid now so I'll stop..

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan