looking for a transistor

On Jan 2, 8:35 pm, "Tim Williams" wrote: [... 2N2222 ...]

There is a Zetex SOT223 version that can take a couple of Watts if you keep the PCB cold enough.

Reply to
MooseFET

It SHOULDN'T ! It's a JEDEC registered device. They're all supposed to comply with a single spec.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

John Popelish wrote in news:w4SdnbRDpat3LebanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Fair enough. Just thought that there might be devices that can operate at higher temperatures than usual and rely on small mass and large temperature difference to allow radiative dissipation without clumsy heatsinking. Not much call to engineer than on a PCB though, where conduction is easier to manage.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Eeyore wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

I like those too. I especially liked the closely related PNP BC560C when I wanted a high-gain single transistor. I tried several types for switching a C106M SCR in a very low power circuit, and that one worked every time when some, including some meant to be better, failed nine times out of ten. I could have just allowed more power to the circuit but that would be pointless, I wanted LOW power, and those two devices worked together nicely without having to cherry pick from batches.

Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

Operating temps for semiconductors are ultimately limited by the increased 'intrinsic conduction' that occurs as they heat up that will eventually result in uncontolled thermal 'run-away'. An additional limit is imposed by packaging methods.

As a result the max junction temp for silicon devices is typically quoted as

200C in hermetic metal can packaging and 150C in plastic packaging.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In logic design that can be dangerous. At least stay away from using prop delays as "design elements". Certainly a two-layer phenolic design can't be equipped with chips that provide ECL speeds but IMHO a design should flawlessly migrate from an old logic family to the CMOS that replaced it.

And they absolutely had to pick a remote vacation resort place for that meeting, didn't they? Shows some of the "motivators" in the movement.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

No idea. I have always staunchly refused to use that kind of logic. IMHO a capable engineer must be able to present a solution with standard logic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

Ever hear of a political convention in Watts, or even Anaheim ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

The 2N2222 is one of the most widely used, most reliable small signal transistors ever made... dipshit.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

You're an idiot.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

The DonkTard ASS said "nothing specific".

Are you even surprised?

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

And you're still WRONG as ever.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

By IDIOTS for sure.

I've not found one ONCE even in any mass produced kit.

You WILL OTOH find the like of 2N3904s and BC548s ( not to mention their SMT equivalents like the MMBT3904 and BC848 ) regularly along with their Japanese

2SA/B cousins.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore
2N2222

I used the Zetex 2222 in the SOT223 package in a product, so there is one product out there with them in them. I needed the breakdown voltage and high frequency operation at the same time.

OTOH, I've used a huge number of 3904 and 4401 parts and more TIP35s than 2222s.

Reply to
MooseFET

That's not a 2N2222 though, it'll be a Zetex enhanced part.

Ones sees those all the time. Just used some 2N5401 and 5551s actually. Handy for the voltage and pretty cheap too.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Use #47 bulbs, they use less current...and/or you could use an AC source and control the lights with SCRs - 2N5060s for example.

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

volts

Some of the new warm white Xmas lights really look a lot like incandescents. See, for example, Noma.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You're a goddamned retard.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

SMT

Japanese

Yes, it is a 2N2222 "better than" version.

for

But the 5401 and 5551 don't work so well at 100MHz. IIRC, their ft is just about 100MHz.

BTW: I once made the threat of using the TIP35 as a bus driver because the other designer thought it was ok to hold onto the bus for an extra

20nS.
Reply to
MooseFET

their SMT

Japanese

Handy for

Not a problem as I'm using them in a DC regulator circuit. Prety OK for any audio apps too.

Oops ! Yes, the TIPs are a bit slow. Japanese power devices (notably Toshiba IME) are typically a LOT faster than 'western' designs btw.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore