Installing an LED

Hello all. I was directed here from the alt.guitar.effects group. What I would like to do is wire an LED to a Roland FS-1 foot switch pedal. The pedal switches between two channels on my guitar amp and I would like to put an LED on it so I know when it's on a specific channel. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gus

Reply to
Gus Chiggins

put

Might be tricky as I doubt there are any spare contacts on the switch, although I dont know about footpedals, using the switch to turn on a relay (to switch the channels) and the led as well might be an option.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

"colin" wrote in news:sGgeh.2753$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

If there are no switches spare it might be easier to build something than to reverse engineer to find a way. If it's just a passive switch, reverse engineering won;t show you anything you can use anyway.

In which case, look at op-amp circuits in any basic guide on their use. Try a CA3140 as that uses a single rail supply of 9V with no trouble. Build a high-gain amp with no feedback, and a diode in series with the positive input, ground the negative (inverting) input, and put a capacitor (try

10µF) on the output. Connect the LED to that output via a series resistor. This should light the LED when there is a signal of greater than 0.6 volts present. If you want it more sensitive, you can try a germanium diode.
Reply to
Lostgallifreyan

As I understand it, the Roland FS-1 is an on/off switch - that is, press it once and it is on and stays on until you press it again. The being the case, it is easiest to use a relay and a wall wart power supply to do what you want. Here's a diagram:

Reply to
ehsjr