Help identifying diode

Trying to repair display/electronics card in Miele microwave oven, cirka 1990 (it's custom built into kitchen panel, so I prefer keeping it if it's possible).

I have this shorted diode, it's part of the power supply to the card:

It has plastic body, 5 mm length.

The label: A12 J 9H And the "J" is 50% larger than the other characters.

I have spent hours on google trying to identify it and/or finding an equivalent, but no luck. No circuit diagram, and I'm not skilled enough to determine it's function, could be a Zener diode.

So please, any tips on how to identify it are welcome!

Regards, Jonatan Lindell

Reply to
jonte42

On 24 Jun 2006 15:38:23 -0700, "jonte42" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could it be something like a BZX79-A12 12V 0.5W zener? The "A" indicates 1% tolerance. The "B" and "C" versions have tolerances of 2% and 5%, respectively.

If the diode is part of a simple linear zener regulated power supply, then there should be an electro in parallel with it, and a resistor in series. The zener may drive the base of a pass transistor.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar