Help identifying an SMD IC

Hi,

I am trying to repair a damaged motherboard (it's a special PowerPC motherboard) and one particular component was scorched and became impossible to identify.

I obtained a high resolution photograph of the component in it's original state from another owner of this board.

I don't know if this component can be identified though, (certainly not by me anyway, with my meagre experience).

I was wondering if anyone might have any tips or a clue what the part might be...

The part is labelled "C042" and a high resolution picture of the board is here:

(Note: 800KB)

The part is U26 on this board, approximately right in the middle of the photo)

Thanks for any tips,

Regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 22:44:00 +1100, Ross Vumbaca put finger to keyboard and composed:

My first thought was that it may be a supervisor IC that holds the board in a reset state until the supply reaches a predetermined threshold. Searching for "C042" at ...

... brings up an Exar part.

Exar make many supervisor ICs, but I couldn't find a likely candidate at the following URL:

It is possible that "C042" is a code which identifies the threshold voltage. Many supervisor ICs use such a marking method.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 06:08:43 +1100, Franc Zabkar put finger to keyboard and composed:

On second thoughts, I think I was wrong.

Instead I think it may be an SN74LVC1G04DBVR or SN74LVC1G04DBVT "single inverter gate".

Page 2 of the datasheet states that the top side marking is "C04_", where the last digit indicates the "assembly/test site".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks heaps for your help, really appreciated. I wasn't able to even find a lead..

Best regards,

Ross..

Reply to
Ross Vumbaca