Disc capacitor coating

What is that stuff, that the old fashioned tan ceramic disc capacitors are dipped/coated in, anyway?

Reply to
David Harmon

Slip - AKA "Clay mixed with so much water you can pour it"

Once it dries, it gets baked to turn it into (wait for it...) ceramic! :)

-- Don Bruder - snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist, or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow" somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... for more info

Reply to
Don Bruder

I think he means the brown waxy ( it might even be wax? ) outside of the componet.

Reply to
johnjd

That's just a wax moistureproofing coat because the ceramic itself is porous. (Think unglazed flowerpots and how they'll "ooze") Without it, the value would be all over the map with changes in humidity.

The main body, and the dielectric between the plates, is just standard slip/clay.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

If barium titanate counts as clay, anyway. But last I checked, clay was an hydrated aluminum silicate.

It's handled the same, though.

Tim

Tim Williams