Datasheets for Philips or JVC CD pickups

I'm looking for a datasheet with as much detail as possible on the optical pickup in the JVC XL-FZ158BK. It's either from Philips or Sony. The actual pickup is a "hologram laser" with 10 pins in a flat package with the hologram part in the cover. What I'm after is really the details of the optical arrangement to identify the photodiode locations.

I has a normal edge-emitting laser diode with its beam reflected by a really tiny prism. But I can't visually identify either the monitor photodiode, or the phodiiodes in the PD array.

Here is a poor photo:

13,14,15,16 are pads for the laser diode.

B is the angled mirror face.

A is the flat top of the prism. It is not known what, if anything, is below this.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

(Part of this was posted Yesterday to sci.electronics.repair only.)

I'm looking for a datasheet with as much detail as possible on the optical pickup in the JVC XL-FZ158BK. It's either from Philips or Sony. The type of pickup is called a "hologram laser" by some manufacturers as it uses a Holographic Optical Element (HOE) to produce the 3 beams of the "three beam pickup" and to distribute the return beams to the focusing and tracking photodiodes. It has 10 pins in a flat package with the hologram part in the clear cover. What I'm mainly interested in are the details of the optical arrangement to identify the photodiode locations. While conventional optical pickups using discrete optics generally have a separate PD array with easily identified individual photodiodes, these hologram lasers may have the photodiodes distributed in almost any pattern. And on this one, it's far from obvous even where they are, let alone the specific function of each.

It has a normal edge-emitting laser diode with its beam reflected by a really tiny prism. But I can't visually identify either the monitor photodiode, or the phodiiodes of the focusing/tracking/RF signal PD array.

Here is a poor photo:

13,14,15,16 are pads for the laser diode.

B is the angled mirror face.

A is the flat top of the prism. It is not known what, if anything, is below this.

Pointers to any Philips or Sony combined laser/photodiode array optical pickup datasheets would be desirable if this specific one doesn't ring a bell.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks!

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Even a schematic of the area of the optical pickup from the JVC service manual for the XL-FZ158BK would be helpful. That would at least identify the pinout of the hologram laser IC.

Thanks.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser writes:

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

yes, Sam, I understand your needs behind, but sorry I cannot help, so far! What nice and tricky "high end" application could be created with this complex optical part - outside a DVD player, of course. Are you sure, Sir, that this part is yet not blacklisted from the DOD? Actually as a kind of Laserschurkendevices? Read his lips...!!!

beamit Andreas Roithner

"Sam Goldwasser" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@plus.seas.upenn.edu...

is

in the

identify

identified

obvous

array.

Reply to
ROITHNER LASERTECHNIK

Sam Goldwasser wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@minus.seas.upenn.edu:

Phased array of visible radiation? hmmmmmmmm......

Brian

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Skywise

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:582dnc_- d_NkUYLVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

heheheh...but seriously, if it could be done, the possibilities that would open up..... :)

Brian

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Skywise

Get DARPA interested. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

On 05 May 2008 08:20:54 -0400, Sam Goldwasser put finger to keyboard and composed:

Can you find a datasheet for the IC that interfaces with the pickup? If so, then perform a continuity check with a DMM to locate your diodes.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Right. All I have is the IC with the laser diode and photodiodes that came out of the pickup. I'm trying to determine how it works. I thought I could basically do it under a microscope, but this, err, strange.... :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: