Why 60 hertz or 50hert

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello everyone...

Good day. Im noticed some devices like motors, appliances or any electronic devices used differents rated of hertz liked our TV used 60 hertz some TV used 50 Hz others rated 50~60. I know that every countries have there own standard of hertz...My question is there any effect with the performance of a motor or any kind of electronic devices if they used with different rate of hertz. Is the rate of hertz has effect the design, size of the wire and number of turns of wire..etc.. when creating a new electronic devices...

Don

Reply to
donskister

There often is an effect but many ( most ) products are made to work fine on either.

Maybe you could be more specific if you have a concern about this.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Motors will turn at the wrong speed if not used at their rated Hz.

60Hz transformers can overheat if used at 50Hz. The lower the frequency, the heavier the xformer (more iron, more wire). Transformers can overheat There is a potentialfor
Reply to
Bennett Price

60 Hz needs less iron but has higher losses.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Not all motors by any means.

This is why most are designed to be 50/60 Hz.

Can being the relevant word. It depends on the product.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

either.

Also see:

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

The US and some countries use 60hz, Canada uses 50hz or used to as does Europe. Some countries use 30hz. The military uses 400hz power in many applications. What I don't get is how can the US grid be tied to the Canadian grid as we sell power back and forth with different freqencies. I know they make phase converters (that is how the military gets 400hz) but seems like a gigantic waste converting back and forth.

Reply to
Paul Bunion

Imagine plugging a 60hz motor into a 400hz outlet! You gonna crank some rpm's.

Reply to
Paul Bunion

Nope. 60 Hz although some generators were 25 hertz (but no more - see

Homer J Simpson

400 is used for aircraft and in some specialized shops.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

30 ?

Where ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And aerospace. It keeps the weight of transformers down.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Canada has been 60Hz for as long as I've been alive. The power grid is directly interconnected with the US grid.

Reply to
James Sweet

Transformers, motors, alternators, it's all smaller.

Reply to
James Sweet

I hadn't thought of motors and alternators too.

The A380's using variable frequency alternators btw to make even further weight savings.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Reply to
M Berger

No, not all motors -- but virtually any induction motor will be affected, and there are lots of them out there. Even electromechanical pinball machines were made with different motors for 50 vs 60 hz.

And I'm not sure why you th>

Reply to
M Berger

Canada converted to 60 Hz back in the 50's. Regards Lee in Toronto

Reply to
Lee

Suppliers to the world market usually design for 50/60 Hz since 60Hz use is quite rare on the global scale of things.

60Hz only transformers tend to be the speciality of the USA.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Many long distance feeds are now HVDC, which deals with the frequency difference problem just fine.

I believe parts of Japan are 50 Hz and other parts are 60.

I've never heard about 30 Hz, but the swedish railroads use 16 2/3 Hz (50/3) for the trains. The store behind this was that that was such a low frequency that they could use DC motors in the early electrical locomotives.

I live by the railroad, and when I was using a CRT monitor I could see when a train approached from the north, as the current to drive the train induced a strong magnetic field at 16 2/3 Hz, and the picture would wobble slightly.

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom