CD beam focus function query

I'm trying to understand what should be expected. Plenty of laser diode output on a test IR photosensor, when first started exploring there was the usual deep red glow, now no visual red glow but still plenty of IR on the photosensor when laser is on. Changing laser lasing mode ? Focus servo works 3 times but no output from focus processor to initiate platter motor drive. Monitoring DC at any of the photodiodes, set mid potential of 2.495V and varies at most 5mV as focus servo activates, but the

5V supply to the focus photo diodes is varying about 5mV. Monitoring differentially between 2 focus diodes there is less than 200 microvolts DC variation , is that the normal level of variation ?

n cook

How much is "plenty"? :)

Doubt it. Unless you mean from laser diode to LED. ;( :)

Doesn't sound like there is any light to the PDs.

P.S. I assume this is with a disc in place. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

started

the

DC

is

in the

Dropping the power pot R down from 1600 ohm down to 500 ohm, the spinner kicks in and plays without hiccup. I had a root around inside the optics area and there was a cocoon of an insect inside an otherwise empty and non functional section of the plastic housing of the optics, but I don't think that was anything to do with the problem . Serious drop in laser output ?

Reply to
n cook

Probably, or the insect was walking around on the optics and leaving crud behind before it spun its cacoon. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Might be a serious drop in laser power, or dust on the critical angle mirror inside the optics. On one particular JVC laser - the Optima 150S / 6S - by pushing the lens gently to one side, you can actually see the mirror, and there's just enough space to get a dry cotton bud down the side, to clean the dust off. This invariably restores these particular lasers to full output and functionality, without having to resort to adjusting the laser current. However, this is the only laser that I know where you can actually do this. In my experience, laser diodes are very critical of their drive current, and turning them up usually results in total failure in fairly short order, so it's only useful as a diagnostic measure, and should not be used as a customer-chargeable repair method. If turning the laser up restores reading, just replace it. I do not recommend trying turning up DVD lasers, even as a diagnostic measure..

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

but

laser

initiate

mid

but

microvolts

non

think

?

is

in the

Silliest fault/syptom I've seen for a long time. When I originally took the optical section apart, down an inch long narrow shaft by veiwing angled and just about getting light down there, I saw a delicate facetted mirror like a cut diamond which seemed like I supposed it should. I re-opened it today and thought I'd wind up some cottton into a long thin string , douse in meths and clean this delicate facetted lens. Looked again and the facets had disappeared , it was probably a minute piece of iridescent insect wing that had been lodged there. Returned power pot back to original setting and fine , also the 7808 is not running hot supplying the laser. A bug in the system.

n cook

You stole my line. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents: