Damage if IC pins more negative than substrate?

I understand that the diodes intrinsic to integrated circuits, with anodes to the substrate, are relatively easily damaged by excessive current when pins are brought more negative than the ground/V-/Vee pin. I don't see specifications for the maximum current in most data sheets; does anybody know whether it is safe to assume all ICs (well, opamps, timers, etc) will tolerate a milliamp?

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Aitchison

When I do a pin-to-pin curve tracer characterization I limit current to

+- 100 uA. I have never blown the substrate/protection diode. This also goes for driving an input or output junction more positive than the
  • supply bus.

Mark Aitchis> I understand that the diodes intrinsic to integrated circuits, with

Reply to
Nermal

If the negative voltage on a pin is present before Vcc or Vdd is applied, the device may go into latch-up and be damaged. Most modern IC's are protected agains latch-up, but you should do your own test on each batch you use to be sure.

BTW, when I was doing Failure Analysis, I limited the curver-tracer current to +/- 10 uA.

Al

Reply to
Al

I saw a lot of latch-up damage when a vendor came out with an "improved and smaller" die. The old product was immune to latch-up. Our product and design could not be changed: all of the CMOS devices had to operate ir regardless of the power up sequence. We had to go to a different manufacturer for this device (Quad CMOS analog switch). The new vendors product was latch-up proof but very susceptible to EDS.

I still use +- 100 uA or even more for my pin-to-pin characterization prior to decapsulation. I like to know what kind of damage I will see before I expose the die (most of the parts now days are plastic).

The old RCA CMOS l> >

Reply to
Nermal