Many ground pins on the IC

Hi guys, my transceiver IC have multiple Vcc and GND pins.

Do i have to route all my Vcc to all the Vcc pins and all my GND pins to ground?

Or are they already internally connected and the extra pins are just to ease routing?

Reply to
Ant_Magma

One of my concern is that if i connect all the GND pins together, connect them to my ground traces. If the pins are connected internally, i would have a loop which is undesirable.

Reply to
Ant_Magma

You usually need a ground_plane for these kind of ICs. and to decouple each Vcc pin with a 10-100n ceramic cap as close as possible. All pins have to be connected. You do not know what gnd-loops are.

--
ciao Ban
Apricale, Italy

The internal Vcc and GND pins may or may not be internally connected. The real point, however, is that you need the lowest impedance path possible, from the supplies, into the IC. Connecting only a few pins will not meet this requirement, and "ground bounce" and "supply bounce" will not be minimized (look up these terms to learn more).

As another poster pointed out, it's extremely important, in order to minimize these bounces, to add good quality ceramic capacitors very close to these Vcc/GND pads. We usually put 0.01uF caps at the pads.

Bob

Reply to
Bob