More negative than actual ground

Is it possible to produce a circuit that operates at a _lower_ potential than actual ground so that electrons flow from ground into it ... instead of the convention whereby electrons flow from a higher potential into ground?

By "actual ground" I mean a rod physically in the ground, not a relative ground created by dividing a positive voltage, as in a dual rail supply.

For example, if an AC driven transformer (with a split secondary) is wired with its center output tap to ground, does one side of the winding draw electrons into ground and the other side draw them away?

Steve Watson

Reply to
Steve Watson

Only in a "progressive" world :-) ...Jim Thompson

Not this again....

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Electrons flow from lowest potential to highest potential. So if a potential is lower than ground, electrons flow from there into ground and not from ground..

yes

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"Convention" is right. In fact, choosing one hunk of metal or another as "ground" is convention, too.

Yes, positive ground systems abound. Look no further than the nearest

1948 Ford.

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

So, I have a handful of electrons ... what in circuit design is strangely termed a "positive" potential/voltage relative to ground. If I drop them, they are absorbed as they fall on the (more positively charged) ground, because electrons are negatively charged and opposites attract.

Now that those negative electrons are part of the ground potential, how can they be extracted with a "negative" potential/voltage that is actually more positively charged than the electrons such that the electrons will be attracted to it?

Is that the right question?

Or, to put it another way: the negative electrons, represented by higher voltage, are attracted to the positive ground. By what practical method can this process be inverted?

Eg. to create a zone of electron depletion that it is more positively charged than ground.

Steve Watson

Reply to
Steve Watson

snipped-for-privacy@jantec.com (Steve Watson) wrote in news:4ed97fdf.10932921 @news.tpg.com.au:

Lure them out by itty bitty positrons.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

A negative potential can only supply electrons to GND, it cannot extract them. I assume you are talking about circuits wherein charge is conserved, so every electron that enters GND recirculates into the postive terminal of the negatve supply.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

View in monospace font:

Voltage negative of ground | | | - Battery --- | | | | GND

You *could* say that.

It's better for most purposes to forget about electrons, and think in terms of voltages and currents.

Just remember that voltages around a closed loop add up to zero, and currents flowing into a single point (node) also add up to zero.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Oh, come on gang. We play this stupid game at least once or twice a year. Steve, do a prior art search, please.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Maybe just in New York.

Hey, I heard we are boycotting Arizona Ice Tea again.

Martin Riddle

Figures.

From Wikipedia:

AriZona Beverages USA (often labeled AriZona) is a producer of various flavors of iced tea, juice cocktails and energy drinks from the United States, based in Woodbury, New York.

The Earth can act as a source or a sink of electrons.

Why don't you just try it so that you can FINALLY convince yourself and move on.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Reply to