cd lens scratching disk: adjust potentiometer? nah.

I've seen this problem with car cd players and portables - pretty much anything that gets bounced around. Any solution for this besides that cheesily-named d-skin ("duh skin")?

My friend says turn the laser up ( by turning the pot down).

I would question whether any but the multilayer machines even have a vertical lens adjustment let alone active control over it. most just have a spring holding it all the way up, no?

He says the laser is moving in closer to the disk to get a better reflection... again, I doubt it. I can see that perhaps a machine would be built so that reading problems result in a panic behavior rapid refocusing - but I don't think they're built that way - CD players or regular dvds.

Then again, I don't know where to find cd lens guide design documents.

Thanks for any info... please state credentials or reference documents.

-Jessop

*** binchin

muc

tha

I don't see that the lens scratching the disk is possible

Also, jujst for the record, and after having good results in adjustin

laser pots already, in a few different machines, (DVDs game consoles Cd players) I feel it fitting to say

To the best of my understanding, the laser lens eventually begins t

loose iyt's focus, as well as the laser loosing strength, maybe du to a week point in the caps inline with the power supply to it, o the laser itself , resisters, whatever

It is definitely harder to read a dirty or scratched disk in thi

state

Most adjustments I have seen arre by turning the pots counte

clockwise, a few degrees

If adjusted too far, you can make the laser strong enough to actuall

damage the lens itself, and even possibly your disks, though

I always try cleaning the lens first, with some 90% or so strengh

alcohol, as the weaker has some kind of oils added to it, for ski care. A stronger solvent could eat your lens , depending on what the are made of, as I stil don't know if they are actually glass or not

I believe if you adjust to any lower than 800 ohms it can damage th

disks etc., and you will need a new laser or unit

Reply to
opsite3