Lens cleaners for audio CD. Any good?

My Rotel audio CD player has started to skip a little bit of the music occasionally. It is usually at the same place on the disc each time. It skips on some brand-new discs as well as on some old disks. Those same discs do not skip when played on another, identical, Rotel player. I wonder if the lens in the unit is dirty, and if so, do lens-cleaning discs actually work? Is there any difference between cleaners described as DVD lens cleaners and cleaners described as CD lens cleaners? As always, I would be grateful for any help.

Reply to
T.T.

if its only skipping in one spot, you can safely assume its probably not the lens. If it were the lens, i reckon it would probably skip everywhere, as the lens is used to focus the light that reads the information of the track. Then again, i do not know shit about this type of thing, but i reckon a good pro like Phil Allison might be able to throw some grease over the metal slider thingies that the laser head moves along. Then again, it could be anything. Try someone who knows what they are talking about cause i dont, I am just bored.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Yes lens cleaning disks will sometimes fix this problem so it is worth a try.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussieblu

**Waste of time. Use a proper lens cleaner, such as the type used in camera work. Whilst it may help, it is highly likely that the laser is buggered and requires replacement.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Thanks for your thoughts. If I could get to the lens without major surgery, I would try try to clean the lens. I doubt if I could find anyone who could replace the laser. I think the only thing I could replace is the entire player.

Reply to
T.T.

**Huh? Which model Rotel? Except for the horrible multi-disk player, using the Nakamichi loading system (RCC955?), they're all easy to work on.
**Which model? Most Rotels (except for the previously mentioned model) were easy to work on. Some, like the RCD965 are expensive on lasers. Most of the rest are reasonably priced.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Tony,

Is the CD player unit dirty inside?

Clean a CD so it is spotless, and the CD is so clean that when examined carefully under a strong light it has no dust motes hanging onto the play surface. Play it in the player and look again. If the CD is now covered in dust then the player is dirty inside.

Until you clean inside the player properly it will keep moving dust onto the laser lens via the CD and it will never play properly.

This is unlikely to be the problem if you keep your CD's clean in their jewel boxes except when they are being played.

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13) ebff snipped-for-privacy@lnubb.pbz

Reply to
RMD

RCD-855

Reply to
T.T.

I don't think the player is dirty, and the CDs have always been kept clean and in their cases. I am hesitant about opening up the player until all else has been tried.

Reply to
T.T.

the best thing to do is get some teflon grease and after cleaning rails and gears with metho, apply a small amount of grease to gears and rails and then use the skip feature of the player and a long cd (80 minutes) start playing the disc at track one, skip to the last track then first then last (or use random) to exercise the grease through the mechanism.

if you like, play a disc to find where it errors out, and then clean and grease, then play the same disc again and see if the error is still there. Ricoh cd burners had the same problem where this would happen, after a thorough clean and re-grease the problems would go away.

it wont hurt to remove the cover, unless you touch the power supply (work with a shock safe or safety switch if you are concerned) cd players are not as fragile as some would have you believe

Reply to
matt2-amstereo

**The RCD855 is a doddle. A machine that old probably requires a laser anyway. You can try a lens cleaner, but it may only be a temporary fix, if at all.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

I tried a lens-cleaning disc. The improvement was remarkable, but not complete. It still skips occasionally. I will now look inside. Why is the dodgy component always at the bottom of the stack?

Reply to
T.T.

That suggest that it dust on the lens. Was it a wet cleaning kit as they seem to work best for me. Use a sponge cleaning stick, air or camera brush or cloth and not a cotton bud to clean the lens. Cotton buds tend to create more dust and fluff than they remove.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove Z from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussieblu

If you are lucky you may find that, as I often do, it is a human hair (eyelash?) caught in the mechanism that holds the lens and it can be removed with a pair of tweezers. I guess they often fall onto CDs without us knowing.