rc potentiometer

I have some hydraulic machinery controlled via a 5kohm pot, an amplifier, and solenoids etc.

I'd like to control wirelessly. Is there some "off the shelf" products I can buy to replace a wired potentiometer with a remotely controlled potentiometer?

CharlieM

I think you should look into a wireless pendant and using a motorized Potentiometer (MOP)..

and there are many wireless pendant products out there, look for one that offers the receiver with multiple outputs..

If you don't want to go the route of motorized pots, you can use something that is cheap in the PLC line that offers analog input and out put to set the voltage for you. THe mulit function pendant can then operate the inputs.. Go to AutomationDirect and look at their line of PLC's. the "CLICK" line has a CPU with analog and the software is free, you only need the buy a cable or make one.

I they also offer wireless pendants.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Not aware of any "off the shelf" that does what you want.

You suggest remotely controlled- the obvious easy way is "wired remote control" (just extend the leads on the pot to the place you want to control it from). That will work up to some length before electrical noise starts affecting the wire runs.

But a hobby style radio control servo could turn the knob you have now, or you could replace the internal servo feedback pot with a dual section pot and wire one to the servo to provide it feedback and use the other section to control your hydraulic gizmo.

Alternatively a "motorized" pot is a great way to do it - connect up one of the off the shelf tiny remote controls to it for button push up/down control.

There's better electronic ways to do it but maybe not if your experience is limited.

The pot you have probably just inputs a DC voltage to some circuit that controls the hydraulic system. The electronic way would be to find the voltage it has to supply and build a circuit to supply it.

What about safety? One assumes this isn't getting connected to a gantry crane carrying molten iron or something? I hear hydraulic and start imagining something huge heavy and with a lot of potential for damage.

Reply to
default

And what distance do you need?

blue tooth, wifi, phone?

-- pim.

Reply to
tuinkabouter

standard remote control hardware (as used by remote control model enthusiasts) sounds like it would fit the bill. just hook a servo the the pot shaft.

you'll need a transmitter, receiver, servo, connecting cables, and a power supply of some sort for the receiver-servo pair, (the transmitters usually use batteries)

if you can use PWM instead of a pot you can probably do it with just the transmitter and receiver.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to