What the frick...

Every time I boot up the laptop I get:

"Windowsapplication1 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Annoying but seems to not be a problem otherwise. Anyone know the cause? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim, did you check your event viewer? In XP, it's in 'start', 'programs', 'administrative tools' 'event viewer. It info should be at the top of the log, which log, I don't know.

You can clear the logs then reboot and check again. That should help you narrow in of the cause.

Jon

Jon

Thanks, Jon! I'll take a look. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Webroot reports that as some type of virus. But Windowsapplication1 is a default name for a visual studio project exe. I would run a virus scan , houseCall or MailwareBytes and see if they detect it.

Martin Riddle

Peruse registry "RunOnce" and related folders

Tim Williams

If it were easy, it would not be fun. Did you at least use Google to search for the error message before posting?

Yep. You have an application that's loading at boot that requires dot.nyet 2.0, 3.0 or 3.5 or you machine is having a bad day trying install yet another dot.nyet security update. Make sure you have all the versions of dot.nyet installed. Use FrameworkDetect.exe to determine what's installed:

Also, run Windoze Update and make sure you have successfully installed all the dot.nyet updates. If one or more dot.nyet updates refuse to install, you're screwed. See below.

If dot.nyet parts and pieces are corrupted, come back and I'll supply remove and reinstall instructions. It's a major time burner to replace everything but it's the only way I've found that works every time. You'll need to download the dot.nyet cleanup tool:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

I like that... "dot.nyet" ;-)

That's what I had concluded. I'll track it down. Microsoft craps again :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

[snip]

I'm not finding "administrative tools". What else might it be called? This is on a Lenovo ThinkPad X61s. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Right click on "My computer" and select Manage.

Reply to
JW

Thanks! Got it...

".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"

So Jeff Lieberman's "dot.nyet" comment is indeed the problem :-)

Now to track the problem down and fix it :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Look in 'Control Panel'.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I had a problem with .net recently. I used the free version of Revo uninstaller to rip all .net out of the computer & reinstalled it. Problem fixed.

Michael A. Terrell

Ran that, all .NET thru v3.5 and SP's show green, except v1, which shows red. What's that mean?

This message only appears at boot, and I don't know of any programs balking. What programs need .NET anyway?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Poking around, I discovered something had put the machine into "selective start", probably a virus scan I ran. Going back to normal start, error message went away. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Which Windoze OS are you running?

Version 1.0 is not needed if you have 1.1 installed. The problem with the framework detect program is that it doesn't show if the installed version are working correctly. The usual indication of a problem is an inability to install dot.nyet updates. Go thee unto Windoze Update and see if there are any dot.nyet updates waiting to install or failing.

Also, I'm not sure if the problem is dot.nyet or a corrupted program trying to run or update dot.nyet. Go back to the Admin Tools -> Even Viewer and look carefully at the error messages.

For control over what's strarting, download and run Autoruns:

Hopefully, it will show something under "run once" that is failing. If that's the case, and there's nothing else obviously wrong with dot.nyet, you can probably abandon trying to fix dot.nyet and work on the failing program.

Plenty. Any gigantic program, that starts slower than a snail, gobbles RAM like it grew on trees, crashes regularly, produces useless error messages, and tends to be unstable, is a good candidate. For example, Quickbooks, Turbot Tacks, IIS 7, Visual Studio, Windoze Media Center, anything that uses C#, some network monitoring utilties, etc.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You apparently missed this message...

Subject: Re: What the frick... SOLVED! Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 19:25:36 -0700 Message-ID: References: X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 6.00/32.1186

[snip] Poking around, I discovered something had put the machine into "selective start", probably a virus scan I ran. Going back to normal start, error message went away. ...Jim Thompson
 Click to see the full signature

Sorry. I missed it. I was reading and replying to messages in the order received. Your announcement was next in line. When there are a dozen new messages in a thread, it's difficult to read them all, and then go back and try to find one worthy of my comments. Maybe I should read messages starting from the bottom.

Congrats, nicely done. I would not have associated the error message with that problem but it makes sense. Selective Startup is like safe mode, where un-necessary services are not started. In that mode, the dot.nyet libraries are not loaded, so any application that needs them will complain.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yep. Spybot asked for a scan after boot, which is what I think provoked the message. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

You would be helpless without this group, wouldn't you?

Reply to
John S