What's with Linear Technology's "Download Request?"

Hi:

It seems LTC requires registration to download LTSpice now.

:-(

Anyway, the most recent download is version July 26, 2004, 2.10v.

Yet in August I downloaded the August 3, 2004, 2.10y version.

Which is preferable?

Thanks.

-- _______________________________________________________________________ Christopher R. Carlen Principal Laser/Optical Technologist Sandia National Laboratories CA USA snipped-for-privacy@sandia.gov -- NOTE: Remove "BOGUS" from email address to reply.

Reply to
Chris Carlen

It looks like someone let the idiots loose on the web site. They make parts not profiles of men looking slightly upwards.

Lucky for mankind, they don't check any of the entries on the sign up web page.

They've made the text smaller so they can fit the silly border around the outside.

There are errors in the Java-script so that "view category" doesn't work on at least one page.

The whole site just flat looks silly.

Hopefully they will shoot whoever corrupted the web site and put the good one back up.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Yeah, I was displeased by the changes in the overall site also. Often I complain to webmasters about their sites. Maybe I should drop them a dime.

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarle@sandia.gov -- NOTE: Remove "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Somebody must have been listening (or reading to be precise), now you can download without registering.

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem
M Dot Kassem At ieee Dot org
---------------------------------------
Reply to
Mostafa Kassem

You may want to direct your comments to the sales/marketing people as opposed to the web master. Often the web designers are off in their own little "oh how cool is this!" world. The people who want to know how the web site is doing are the people who are selling and advertising the product. Many times, they are unaware of the problems with the web site, and are eager to hear from customers about problems that need to be addressed.

Mark

Reply to
uvcceet

I sure am glad you are being tolerant Ken ;-)

-Chuck

Ken Smith wrote:

Reply to
Chuck Harris

In article , Chris Carlen wrote: [...]

I'd suggest waiting until, lets say, Friday to let them discover the error of their ways and find a back up copy of the old web site code. I think its only fair. Linear has been a good company for such a long time we really should cut them a little slack. There is really no sense in going into full rant mode over the stupid idiot changes they made to their web site. It really is a small matter that they didn't realize that they had a moron without the sense God gave a goose running the web site and a bunch of managers who were too ignorant of the basics to stop this travisty of HTML from being unleashed on the general public. I am sure that they mean well and really it isn't like they are killing puppies or anything, so we shouldn't let ourselves get all spun up, It is really just a simple error, you know the sort of thing were you let a high school kid do brain surgery because you don't know any better. I'm sure that the metal disease that infected the web department will not, at least quickly, spread into the chip designing departments. Linear is not the sort of company that will bull-headedly continue along the path to disaster. Seeing that the new web site is a blunder of the highest magnetude and correcting it forth-with, I think, is what we can expect from them. Perhaps a week worth of some, soon to be unemployed, persons labor is all they really will have lost. We certainly will not hold it against them that they let such a monkey brained idea slip out into public view. If I saw someone accidentally walk naked into the street, I would look away as I believe would all of the gentlemen and ladies of this news group. Shouldn't we grant Linear the same grace and not look at their abortive web site changes until they've had a chance to correct it? I believe we should and we must. It is only right and fair that we do, for as horrid and uncalled for as this corruption of their web site is we should not be outraged but merely provide some gentle guidance as to the error of their ways and trust that they will be adult enough to correct it.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Wow what a speech! Ok, you've got my vote for President on Nov. 2 !

Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarle@sandia.gov -- NOTE: Remove "BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

Yeah, but look at their cool "404 Error" page:

That photo is probably adding $1000/month to their bandwidth bill. ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ken Smith wrote: : In article , : Chris Carlen wrote: : >Hi: : >

: >It seems LTC requires registration to download LTSpice now.

: It looks like someone let the idiots loose on the web site. They make : parts not profiles of men looking slightly upwards.

: Lucky for mankind, they don't check any of the entries on the sign up web : page.

: They've made the text smaller so they can fit the silly border around the : outside.

: There are errors in the Java-script so that "view category" doesn't work : on at least one page.

: The whole site just flat looks silly.

: Hopefully they will shoot whoever corrupted the web site and put the good : one back up.

They also renamed all the datasheet pdfs to some silly name, like

Argh!

Uwe Bonnes

Note the absence of responses from Mike Engelhardt.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

Not a clue there, but... As far as LTC's web site goes, it looks perfectly normal to me. That, and SWCAD required no registration info (though it offered me the option).

This is as of 16-Oct-04, Saturday, about 08:53 PDT.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

: > Hi: : > : > It seems LTC requires registration to download LTSpice now. : > : > :-( : > : > Anyway, the most recent download is version July 26, 2004, 2.10v. : > : > Yet in August I downloaded the August 3, 2004, 2.10y version. : > : > Which is preferable?

: Not a clue there, but... As far as LTC's web site goes, it looks : perfectly normal to me. That, and SWCAD required no registration info : (though it offered me the option).

: This is as of 16-Oct-04, Saturday, about 08:53 PDT.

A website that presents "&nbspSend us your Feedback on our new web site!" for about a week after an update is at least somehow broken...

Uwe Bonnes