What do you call it/where do you get it?

Could you put the object-to-be photographed on a board supported at an angle - then you wouldn't have to point the camera straight down - and you could select the angle to keep the tripod legs out of the picture.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

That would work for those pieces that didn't want to slide.

What I'm looking into is a cheap head that will attach to the bottom of the pole slide. ...Jim Thompson

A strip cut from a sheet of roofing lead could be wrapped around one of the legs as a weight, or better still lead flashing for roofing can be bought with self adhesive coating on the back and should be available in smaller quantities.

Reply to
ian field

I haven't looked at tripods for a few years, but the heads of the ones I used in the past would unscrew from the top of the mast and reattach at the bottom. See if yours is threaded -- mine has a 1/4-20x3/8 stud. Lock the mast and give the pan/tilt handle a good counter-clockwise whack. I suppose newer stuff might omit this feature to save a few pennies, but you might get lucky.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Lowe

Think outside the box; a ceiling-mounted mirror over a desk, just use a long lens and aim up. Photoshop has no problem with reversal, and the depth of field is better than in a 'closeup' arrangement.

Reply to
whit3rd

Use poster putty or somesuch to hold the thing in place.

Tripod threads are 1/4-20 - get a piece of 3/4 x 3/4 thin angle from Home Depot, and a short 1/4-20 bolt and a couple of nuts. Drill a

1/4" hole in one face of the angle, near the end, for the camera mount, and one in the other face, a suitable distance from the end, for the tripod.
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

To be precise, camera and tripod threads are 1/4 -20 Whitworth thread, which is ever-so-slightly different from 1/4-20 NC (National Coarse) like one sees in common hardware items. Regular hardware will work, but is a tad loose-fitting.

Reply to
whit3rd