Video Monitor "Repeater" Over Network

Is there a way to "repeat" (*) a monitor over a CAT-5 network?

(*) View from another PC on the network. ...Jim Thompson

Yes, but how much you're going to spend depends a bit on what sort of video and monitor you have and if you can install software on the PC in question or not.

Examples...

  • For VGA (analog input) monitors... you can split the VGA connection and use something like this:
    (no software required)
  • If you're willing to install software on your PC, essentially this then acts as a network-connected video card:
    (and expects a DVI-connected monitor on the far end)
  • Not quite what you asked for, but... USB dongle on your PC with wireless video transfer to a receiver that drives a VGA monitor on the other end:

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Or you can just use an X terminal, for free. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes. Probably, what you would be best doing is using the Windows Remote Desktop Protocol, which allows one Windows PC to view the display on another Windows system, and (potentially) to remote-control via mouse and keyboard as well. I believe taht this is built into most recent versions of Windows.

The equivalent on Linux systems is VNC.

Dave Platt

Well, yes... if there's a PC at the far end, you can effectively achieve the same result with some of the "remote desktop"-type applications such as VNC.

Not quite plug-and-play, but then again, you don't need any more power than a nettop computer, and many of those are available brand spankin' new in the $150-$300 ballpark.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

The server side of RDP only comes with the "Professional" and "Ultimate" versions of Windows these days.

However, Jim was asking for just a monitor extension, and RDP under Windows is purposely designed to require the keyboard and mouse be "remote" as well (blanking the main PC's screen) so as to remove the possibility of multiple login sessions running simultaneously on the PC.

The "Remote Assistance" feature is closer to VNC in that both the remote and local screens, keyboards, and mice all keep working. (And as mentioned, VNC runs under Windows pretty well these days.) A bit of a hassle to get going, though.

NoMachine NX is pretty good too (the personal use version is free) -- a little more polished than VNC.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Just keeping an eye on the teenager :-)

I think I have a good block list in place, but going thru a 400-500 URL history every morning is a pain.

So I just want to view his activities for about an hour every day, until I wipe out all possible paths :-[ ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.

Ah, gotcha.

Did you want to do this clandestinely? Or are you all for letting the kid know you're watching?

In the later case there's plenty of software-only "screencast"/"screen recording" program out there too...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

There are many software and hardware solutions. Whats the budget?

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Nico Coesel

Clandestinely ;-) ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.

I'm like Joerg, I can afford anything, but free is always best :-)

I simply want to view the screen, no remote mouse or anything like that. ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.

Most remote screen tools can do that. Just turn of mouse & keyboard control. I always liked 'remote administrator'. Its cheap, very secure and very reliable. Actually remote administrator was the only tool which worked for me to transfer a 700MB file over a crappy modem connection.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I solved that by placing the computers in the living room. OTOH at some age its time to let go. Just make sure they know:

-do not talk to strangers

-do not accept gifts from strangers

-do not give your address & phone number to strangers

-everyone on internet is a weird stranger with a chain-saw

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Tight VNC

Martin Riddle

Our case is more difficult... this is the autistic grandson. ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.

Interesting piece of software. Thanks for mentioning it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

HEY! I don't have a chain saw. Well, not yet. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have an electric one, on a pole no less. Does that count ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.

the

VNC.

than a

Well, you're weird, but you're no stranger. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

VNC.

than a

the

B&D... handy for trimming trees without too much climbing. ...Jim Thompson

       Make the world a better place, dismember a Democrat.