USB-to-Serial ??

Further cleaning up in the office found an odd cable... USB on one end, what looks to be serial on the other??

Was there such a thing.

My cable collection was sort of hilarious, I don't know why I kept some things for so long... I must have tossed 20# of parallel port printer cables ;-) ...Jim Thompson

that's not an odd cable, theres millions of them, replacement for the serialport that is no more on most computers

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Common as dirt.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you take the serial connector apart, you will find a USB-Serial chip.

If you plug the USB end into a PC, it should turn into another serial port. That's /dev/ttyUSBx on Linux systesm, and COMx on Windows boxes.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
Reply to

Yes. Hang onto it. Same with old SCSI and IEEE gear. One day you may need it to connect your prehistoric test & measurement kit to a new PC.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I Just reciently had to procure a Centronics to Parallel prot cable. No one carries those anymore, except the little computer shops. Hang on to those as they are obsolete.

Martin Riddle

How many hundred do you need?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I only needed one for a new Zebra printer/HP printserver, but the local offcemax /staples doesn't carry those anymore.

Martin Riddle

Thanks! I'll keep it. I have ONE very-occasional-use event recorder that needs a serial port input (my infamous aircraft noise reporter that automatically sends E-mail to the blond bitch at city hall :-) ...Jim Thompson

I have them from 6 to 25 feet, if you ever need another. Just pay postage. I still have plenty of 9 & 25 pin serial cables.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Worse are the DB-25 to the mini-printer connector cables. If mine breaks I think I'll just skip printing from now on.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

Hey, do you have a baseball team out there in the desert? The Arizona Armadillos or something?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The wire is pretty good quality and the cables are very handy to use in custom projects if you have corresponding connectors. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell