Hilarious "Solution" to Budget Deficit

Hilarious "Solution" to Budget Deficit:

Sell California to China for $10 Trillion ;-) ...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Fri, 08 Oct 2010 10:48:09 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Devaluate the US dollar.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hey, not that funny, it might work. But, think of the new wall we'd have to build...

Reply to
PeterD

Let the Chinese build the wall. It'd be so heavy the San Andreas Fault would fail, and Californica would fall into the Pacific. It'd be a win-win-win situation all around ;-) ...Jim Thompson

               I can see November from my house :-)

You're right, the Chinese would probably insist on a very high wall.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If things keep going the way they have, China will simply repossess it.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Hey, just hire the Chinese. I hear they build Great walls...

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson thinks the Great Wall of China was heavy enough to be geologically significant?

And that the San Andreas Fault involves vertical movement?

In fact California (or the bit to the west of the San Adreas Fault) is in the process of migrating to Canada at about 35 mm per year, and it will get there in perhaps 10 million years, eventually moving on to provide Alaska with some decent restaurants and a bit of night life. We may have gone extinct by the time it gets there, but the bears might appreciate it.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

You mean to keep people *in* California before the sale or to keep people from going back after?

Reply to
flipper

I rather suspect they'd insist on repossessing something of value.

Reply to
flipper

Ever been in a company trying to sell of a division that's losing money hand over fist? It ain't that easy.

Reply to
flipper

Neat. Thanks. But I think you are off by a factor of 10.

I've always used 1 inch per year, the same as your fingernail grow. (25.4 mm is close enough to 35 mm.)

Google says ~2000 miles from San Francisco to Anchorage AK.

2000 * 5280 * 12 is 100 milllion rather than 10 million. Did I botch something?
Hal Murray

Well, now you've done it--they're wise to our plan...

Reply to
PeterD

To keep them in! And as well, we could put one-way turnsiles every mile for anyone who wants to leave and go there. But one-way: you go, you stay.

Reply to
PeterD

The 10 million years refers to the time taken to reach Canada - not Alaska - which I've only identified as the ultimate destination. The period was taken from the relevant web-site

which claimed 20 million years to get to the Aleutian Trench, which I'm assuming - perhaps incorrectly - to be off Alaska.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I was alluding to the mass migration of business out of California vs the 'Communist Chinese' having a better handle on free enterprise than the current crop of loony tunes running our country.

Reply to
flipper

On a sunny day (Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:01:45 -0500) it happened flipper wrote in :

You have sufficiently for you at least shown your ignorance. With 'stars' I was referring to those things in the sky. You, a minuscule entity, siting on a minuscule earth, with a minuscule opinion about everything outside you and inside you, past present and future, you imagine to have more of a clue. Things will unfold, and have unfolded, your fears of losing 'what is yours', whatever that is, investments, property, well, empty handed you came, and empty handed you will go. So that is pretty much an illusion to hold on to, what then is important is how happy you spend your time, else you were a bad case of happening for a x amount of seconds, like the fly that only lives for a day, and if it could, would have worried for a day about it's grain of sugar it picked up. It is all a matter of perspective perhaps. The US dollar IS already worthless.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 09 Oct 2010 17:30:36 -0500) it happened flipper wrote in :

Exactly, but that is because there is only one party, and decisions get taken, not 2 parties who only try to destroy what he other one is trying to build. That is why China is more likely to be first on Mars. Because it does not change direction every 4 or 8 years with its projects, as the US does.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"State budget plans are built with fiscal gimmicks Proposals from Democrats and Schwarzenegger would again push the pain into the future. June 24, 2009|Shane Goldmacher

SACRAMENTO =97 A substantial number of the budget revisions that will go before the Legislature today promise no real savings or revenue and would ensure that California's fiscal woes stretch beyond the current crisis into coming years.

The Democrat-driven plan, which on paper reduces the state deficit by $23.2 billion, contains $7.2 billion in bookkeeping maneuvers, [...] one-time fixes, [...] or are grounded in rosy assumptions that the Legislature's own fiscal advisors say are unlikely to materialize.

[...]

One of the Democrats' ideas is to issue state employees' June 2010 paychecks at 12:01 a.m. on July 1 -- one minute into a new fiscal year

-- instead of June 30. By producing 11 months' paychecks instead of

12, the state would spend $1.2 billion less next year but would have to repeat the ploy yearly."

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yes, I'm sure it's all smoke and mirrors. Outcome should be interesting. Somehow I think California will get out of the problems, but don't see it right now. A wage and benefit cut of 20% across the board might do it. And who would argue about 20% if they get to keep their job? Of course the pensions might have to take a similar cut. But who would complain about that if they get 24K for doing nothing instead of 30K?

But on the lighter side, I found a deal at GW ( 6 VCR tapes of "Have Gun Will Travel") each with 4 episodes (1957-63) all for $5. I feel like I'm 16 again watching black and white movies from the early 60s. Those were the days when the budget was balanced.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden