SuperSpice and new component

Ha! Good to know ... :-)

There must be a lot of booze and good natured humor coming up with some of these names.

I'm hoping to transition to linux on all my machines, but first I guess I have to jump through the Redhat hoop.

Thanks for the info!

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

Btw, this is the linux file system standard I believe they're trying to implement:

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

For completeness, I suppose I should include an example of the resistor error messages when the resistor is specified with w/l and a model.

LTspice is apparently looking for the original spice syntax for the various parameters in the model and doesn't utilize much of the foundry supplied resistor model.

The fact that it works for "semiconductor resistors" is not documented:

Syntax: Rxxx n1 n2 [tc=tc1, tc2, ...]

The resistor supplies a simple linear resistance between nodes n1 and n2. A temperature dependence can be defined for each resistor instance with the parameter tc. The resistance, R, at will be

R = R0 * (1. + dt * tc1 + dt**2 * tc2 + dt**3 * tc3 + ...)

where R0 is the resistance at the nominal temperature and dt is the difference between the resistor's temperature and the nominal temperature.

Running this file shows the error messages the simulator kicks out. It does find the sheet resistance and that provides an accurate nominal simulation in the rc below:

LTSPICE test

V1 1 0 pulse(0 5 10u 1n 1n 1) R1 1 2 1e4 C1 2 0 1e-9 XR2 1 3 rny10k C3 3 0 1e-9

..SUBCKT RNY10K a b RR10 N_1 b NY W=4.4U L=88U RR9 N_2 N_1 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR8 N_3 N_2 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR7 N_4 N_3 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR6 N_5 N_4 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR5 N_6 N_5 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR4 N_7 N_6 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR3 N_8 N_7 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR2 N_9 N_8 NY W=4.4U L=88U RR1 a N_9 NY W=4.4U L=88U ..ENDS RNY10K ..tran 1u 0.1m

..model ny r rsh = 50

  • dw = 0.08e-6 dlr = -0.8e-6
  • cox = 1.3e-4 capsw = 0.060e-9
  • tc1r = 4.0e-4 tc2r = 1.1e-6
  • tref = 25
*

..end

Again, this works fine in Smartspice. No subcircuits needed :-)

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

Of course I didn't ask others recently how to search my hard drive :-)

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

In article , ldg wrote: [...]

I think you will find that the extra overhead of running it under Windows (at least Win98) makes it run only a little slower than it does using wine. Is this what you mean?

[...]

Some companies have good programmers and others don't. In some cases, it isn't that the software will not work just fine on some other system, it just that the maker only tests it on one version and makes their install script test for that specific version.

I use SuSE to run "dosemu" to run the DOS Orcad. I had troubles with DOS orcad running dos windows on Windows machines. So far there has been no problem under dosemu. Unlike windows, xdosemu allows the DOS window to be resized etc.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

That is the Spice "Standard"

To those of us who stopped netlisting by-hand maybe 20 years ago, this is no longer an issue... the symbol TEMPLATE does all the work.

You've missed a lot. There are a limited number of NATIVE DEVICES is Spice, all else are subcircuits.

I call it "head-up-the ass syndrome". You are really so clueless I might suppose your father is Fred Bloggs ;-)

Excuse me? What makes you think I edit the original foundry files?

I really am tiring of trying to help what appears to be a student, only to have them turn on me, implying I know nothing.

If you're on this side of the pond you are so ignorant you must be a Democrat.

Other side of pond, you must be a relative of Bemelman.

You're definitely a fookin' amateur ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The acronym for Wine is: ine s ot an mulator

Wine is an applications interface for windows code that runs under x86 based linux systems. Just like 'doze 98 is an applications interface for windows code that runs under DOS.

I'm

No more so than the layer between windoes and dos. The underlying operating system, linux, is a whole bunch more efficient than the windows/dos mess.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

To JIM:

Take your lithium. Rent Napoleon Dynamite. Grab a good cabernet and enjoy life :-)

You may want to reconsider saying things like this to others - "You harp about things that you know not about". I was curious at that point what you might actually know. Not curious now. :-)

TO THE GROUP:

Hopefully the exchange might provide some insight to others on the various topics and wasn't too distracting. If so, let me apologize.

Sorry for taking over the thread.

I had fun though. :-)

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

Take it up with Mikey. You've wasted several hours of my time. No more. Fookin' amateur ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Bwahahahahaha!

Fookin' amateur!

Though I'm a Scot, not Irish, I like that phrase "Fookin' amateur"; have to add it to my repertoire ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the thoughtful reply!

Regards, Larry

Reply to
ldg

In article , ldg wrote: [....]

Wine works very well indeed as an emulator even though it is in fact not an emulator but a port of the windows API onto linux.

Consider the case of a request to write to a file:

The typical Windows application does this:

(1) The object that is requesting to be written calls its virtual method that is used for writing.

(2) The write virtual method calls the virtual method for each of its component parts.

(3) Each component part calls the virtual method that is part of the file handling stuff in MFC.

(4) The file handling stuff creates the needed structure to pass to the windows API.

(5) The windows API recieves the request and burries it in warm peat for aging.

(6) The windows API hands the request to the 32 bit DOS function.

(7) The 32 bit DOS function calls the section of the device driver that does writing

(8) The device driver waits for the tubes in the disk drive to warm up and then dribbles the data into the srive.

Under wine, items 5 to 8 change to this:

(5) The wine code recieves the request.

(6) wine passes the request to the kernal function

(7) The kernal transfers the data to a buffer and flags it as needing to be written.

(8) When time permits or there are not enough buffers left, the Kernal calls the code for writing on this type of disk.

(9) The write actually happens.

In many cases, it is just a matter of using the software from the good programmers and ignoring the software from the bad ones.

It is less about normalizing and more about picking a minimum standard and going with that.

Bad programmers assume that the target machine has all the latest stuff. Good programmers only enforce the requirements that actually matter in their code. Bad programmers hard code the locations and versions of everything. Good programmers allow for things to be specified at install time.

Dead Rat has lots of silly ideas. But then so do lots of other folks. Altera just brought out a version of Quartus that runs under Linux, if you have the right version of Read Hat and if you have the right version of QT and if you have the right version of Glibc and if you place your left hand on top of your head while you install it. All Quartus really is, is a compiler and a text editor. They could have left the editor out. There is no reason a compiler needs any such specifics about the machine it will run on.

[...]

Nero comes free with many DVD burners etc. The free version is not the Linux version. I think this is why they are getting flack. If they gave you the Linux version when you bought the DVD burner, most users would not care that they did not get the source code.

[...]

My work machine runs SuSE 9.2. It almost got samba right on the first try. At home I run SuSE 8.2. The samba set up in it was completely broken. There are signs of progress.