SuperSpice install under Parallels yields a broken .lnk file

It's been a long time, but I'm tooling up to design and build a small impulse magnetizer, based on an old patent (US 4,258,405) done up with SCRs and silicon diodes (versus the original ignitrons). The production quantity is one - it's for my use.

This circuit will generate a single half-sine pulse about ten milliseconds wide and about 5,000 amps peak (if caps are at full charge) through a small but heavy copper coil whenever the Fire! button is pressed.

The pulse has to stay within the surge capability of the SCRs and diodes. The most likely SCR/Diode block is an Infineon model TT190N18SOF with one SCR wired to act as a diode. The capacitor bank will be a number of CDE type 7P102V330N042 photoflash capacitors (1000 uF, 330 Vdc) in parallel.

For this, SPICE will be very useful, so I downloaded SuperSpice and installed it under 64-bit Win 10, which is running in a Parallels 15 Pro partition under MacOS. Installation went smoothly, and yielded a SuperSpice.lnk file on the desktop. Clicking on the .lnk icon yielded the following error message:

"\\Mac\Home\Desktop\SuperSpice.lnk

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

The above warning is presented whenever one attempts to launch the newly-installed SuperSpice. The same warning is generated by both

32-bit and 64-bit versions. I could not find the relevant application log (probably disabled by default), but in any event I don't know that I would know what to make of such a log anyway.

This may be an only-Kevin question, but does anyone have any idea how to solve this? This is the first Windows program I've met that balks at running in this setup. (I'm typing this message using Forte Agent running in that setup.)

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

You need to manually install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64). Some systems don't have it as default.

Its in:

C:\Program Files\AnaSoft\SuperSpice

double-click on:

vcredist_x64.exe

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

[snip]
[snip]

This worked for both 32-bit and 64-bit SuperSpice. Had to do it twice, for both Programs(86) and Programs. I stayed with 64-bit.

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
Joe Gwinn