EAGLE Netlist conversion

Does anyone here have (or know of) a software package to convert EAGLE 4.1 net lists into other industry standards? I am particularly interested in turning out EDIF and PADS 2k lists from my already-existing EAGLE schematics.

I did ask about this on the EAGLE support news group, but nobody there knew of any s/w to do this. Net list conversion doesn't seem to be too difficult, once you know all about the formats, and I can't be the only one interested in this!!

Thanks for any info,

-vs-

Reply to
Virgil Smith

Virgil,

I took a quick look at the Netlist format that Eagle generates from their Schematic.

It has been a whilesince I've used Eagle, and I do not remember if they have multiple Netlist formats to choose from for their Schematic, or if they use scripts to generate the formats.

Anyway... it shouldn't be too difficult to read in the Eagle Schematic Netlist and write a 'new' Netlist in almost any format that you would like.

The Pads Netlist would be easy enough... the EDIF Netlist... not impossible, but a tad more difficult. (I wrote an EDIF Netlist writer for P-CAD 2k, which works very well, and is compliant with the EDIF standard.)

Good Luck,

James Jackson Oztronics

Reply to
James Jackson

FWIW, the Pulsonix software I use can import Eagle schematics and PCB designs.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

have

use

like.

impossible,

Yeah, that's sorta what I thought -- it shouldn't be too hard to do. I would just rather spend my time developing electronics hardware than writing support s/w. I get paid for the former, and not for the latter :-)

May I ask what you used to write your netlist conversion package? I would probably use C but it seems there will be much parsing of text strings, and if there's a language that does it more conveniently, I would like to know.

Thanks for the input,

-vs-

Reply to
Virgil Smith

PERL or Python would be suitable. SNOBOL would be even better, but isn't used much these days.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
Reply to
Leon Heller

I can probably help with this if you can point me to descriptions the formats.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Alexander

Hey Virgil,

I use Visual Basic (VB), since that gives me a quick way to generate a proggy with buttons and things and makes it looks like other Windows proggies.

However, I say - use whatever you feel comfortable with, and does not require a lot of ramp up time on the 'learning curve'.

A friend tried to point me towards Python a few years ago, but I found myself struggling with that, and could write code much quicker in VB - so just stuck with that.

Also - since I have a lot of other programs that I have written in VB - I like the uniformity that they all have - and have developed several routines that make cranking out new programs quicker than starting from scratch.

Of course, I may be a slow learner.

Regards,

James Jackson Oztronics

their