Re: Great Movie Line from an Old Bob Hope Movie

I've never laid myself off, but I've fired the boss three times now.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Nice.

Just out of curiosity (I'm not after $$ figures), but how is a chip project like that handled?

Did you design that chip specifically for SC Johnson, under contract?

On what are your payments based? Was it a fixed-amount one-time payment, per-piece license fee? Who owns the rights to the design?

Finally, who handles your licensing/contract agreements?

Thanks for any info --

Reply to
Julie

must be one of those obscure definitions of "contribution" with which I am not familiar.

--
local optimization seldom leads to global optimization

my e-mail address is:   AT mmm DOT com
Reply to
Roy McCammon

Hello,

I'm looking to make a model of an Avalanche Photodiode in PSpice. I have the student version 9.1

The way I think of it, I can have a fake digital input into the component to trigger an avalanche as if a photon hit it, and just have the resistance be zero after that rising edge until the voltage across the diode drops to a sufficiently low value.

Does anyone know of a component like this? Could someone give me advice or perhaps direct me to a tutorial?

Thank You,

-Michael

Reply to
Michael A. Powers

The uA711 was a dual uA710 comparator.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Engelhardt

I like that more than the air freshener, I'm afraid.

--
_____________________
Christopher R. Carlen

I read in sci.electronics.design that Jim Thompson wrote (in ) about 'One of My High Technology Contributions to Microchip Design', on Fri, 16 Jul 2004:

Have you got versions for elderly electronic engineers that emit 'sawing Ebonite', 'hot Paxolin' and 'selenium dioxide'? (;-)

John Woodgate

--
Ah, Yesss... the unmistakable odor of molten polysilicon charring, in
the long term, cubic yards of epoxy B...

I'm impressed. OK, how much does it cost? I'd like to see a scaled-back version, with 0.1ns resolution, and 8 channels, etc. Smaller perhaps and cheaper. Scalable to 16, 24, 32 channels.

Thanks, - Win

(email: use hill_at_rowland-dot-org for now)

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Not so easy there. There's a 60 day refill life, but there's a 6 month battery-life spec ;-)

It's a custom ASIC, not publicly available; and the piezo-mechanical pump was developed by Fitch, an SC Johnson subsidiary.

...Jim Thompson

But not due to lack of ruggedness. Every Radio Snack carries (or carried) these, and they just gathered dust on the shelf, indicating to me that there were not many of them going bad. Must've been built like the proverbial brick sh#thouse. ;-)

Each one being connected to an automobile, so you can get a good idea of the quantity by looking at the number of vehicles sold.

Unfortunately huge volume would mean very low cost, and not a lotta $$$.

Who makes them? Or who makes the circuit board? Or who makes.... :-?

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

That's pretty cute. My wife wants to know if you could add a sensor to it that would increase the squirt frequency when I need a shower.

Reply to
Martin

I thought that's why god made EEPROMs - so you could make major changes with a chip change. You can just charge the customer a couple thou to fly a tech out and 'upgrade ' the box, and recal it.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

Hi John,

How about "drilling bakelite"? Or "overloaded carbon resistor", "eau de electrolytics" and "parfume de tubes with dust on them"?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi Jim,

If you count the "C" siblings that came after your original I probably added another boat load of consumed chips here ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Right -- I forgot. One of my raining on the OT parades.

Oh well.

Reply to
Julie

I've got to ask, how in the world did you remember that JT killfiled me?

Reply to
Julie

Can you give any more info about the pump, sounds like it might be handy for micropumping applications, at a fraction of the price of a proper one.

Can the timer be defeated so it runs whenever it gets power?

Just shows that though it's a simple circuit, that even I could design in a couple of hours, and probably use no more than 7 components that there'll be a place for custom silicon for a while yet.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's basically what I'd ask, but if you recall, Jim kill filed you. Maybe you've been pardoned by now.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Doesn't it bug you, the avenues open to making a living these days?

When you think of all the things that really need doing; and then even serious work gets diverted. For example ...

A biomedical laser (portable in-office cataract surgery) ends up being used as a high tech paint-ball on a tank.

A blood analyser ends up being used mainly for sports drugs or other 'personnel' employee security clearance work.

It doesn't matter how high tech it is, if the chimpanzee you give it to only uses it to make noises by banging it against rocks or the bars to it's cage.

RL

Reply to
legg