Re: Great Movie Line from an Old Bob Hope Movie

I've never seen any. Just wondered if they exist. Of course I know about some of the excellent free viewers available, and I know you can upgrade a couple of 'em to limited editing functionality, but what about really good tools that don't cost $3K+?

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

10 x 8 being cm (100mm x 80mm), which isn't too bad.

Hmm.. isn't it a crippleware version of the same thing?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany
-

-"Mark (UK)" writes:

->

->

-> The trial version is totally free, and does 10 x 8 PCBs - useful for

-> small projects.

->

-> The difference with Eagle is - it's actually GOOD!

-

-gEDA and PCB (unix/cygwin hosts) are also $0.00 and fully featured

-(i.e. not crippleware).

D.J.

gEDA/PCB is on my list of things to look at. I've played with the pair a bit, but I'm still looking for a blow by blow tutorial from circuit to printout.

The last time I Goggle researched was about 6 months ago with no real paydirt.

Any pointers welcome.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

I have toyed with gEDA & PCB and I really like them, especially PCB.

Both packages show age and lack of programming knowledge but they make it up with their overall simplicity and utility.

PCB is not really "fully featured", since it lacks real poligon pour. To its credit, it has simplified implementation, which is much faster and should be adequate for 90% of needs.

PCB is very fast to work with and its response is snappy. Overall feeling reminds me of Tango-DOS, albeight latter was much more polished.

Same goes for gEDA, albeight I only played with gschem and so cannot judge other parts, like simulator etc.

Regards,

Branko

Reply to
Brane2

it is $695.

Reply to
Wayne

DJ

It's been a while since I used gEDA (I'm long past the schematics part of my project) so I can't help you on that part. There isn't much for PCB outside its documentation, which is improving but is missing the all-inclusive-type tutorial.

Most people just ask on the gEDA mailing list (pcb is a common topic there too) when they need help. Might want to ask about tutorials there too.

I *do* know PCB is good for mastering real pcbs. I have mine made by

4pcb and have worked with their techs to fine-tune that part of the process. Dan has his made by someone else so it's multi-vendor.

Of course, since they're $0, there's no risk if you want to try them ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Hi!

Nope, it's fully functional in every way - the ONLY limitation is the size of the PCB, and one page schematics - but that page can be any size.

The advantage of it is that it's a bang up to date product, no worrying about older software with no support - and if you really get into it, then at least if you want to pay for an upgrade to do bigger boards, you'll know your way round it.

JM2C.

Yours, Mark.

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Reply to
Mark (UK)

It only works for that vendor.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

And you are limited to two copper layers but the router doe work and it is bloody good.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I havent tried that one, but i use pcb123.com which is a similar/same service, and they are fantastic. Although i *hate* their new software version, i refuse to upgrade and stick to the older one.

Reply to
Quack

Actually Pad2Pad appears to use the same software as the old version of PCB123.

I wonder if this is why PCB123 changed. perhaps someone left/split and took their software with them to create pad2pad.com.

hmm.. strange.

Reply to
Quack

Hehehe, no wait a minute - confused myself there. I recongnize the software from Emachineshop.com another online design package i use.

This pad2pad must be the same developers, the software is very similar, and both come with default user "albert einstein" :).

Reply to
Quack

another useless fact. emachineshop.com and pad2pad.com are both registered domains of 'micro logic corp'.. so must be the same people.

I know emachineshop is very good, i use it often and service/quality is great. So that may say something for pad2pad.com

Alex.

Reply to
Quack

Although I developed this for the Pulsonix PCB software I use, and posted details to the Pulsonix Users Group, it will probably be useful for any other design package that creates lots of backups and report files that clutter up design directories and waste a lot of space.

I put each design in a separate sub-directory in a top-level directory called 'PCB'. All the design directories get cluttered with unwanted backup, security and report files, which waste a lot of space. I've filched some PERL code I found on the Web for recursively walking a directory tree and modified it so that it deletes all the above files from each sub-directory:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use File::Find; use strict;

my $directory = "c:/pcb";

find (&process, $directory);

sub process { # Find files for deleting if ( ($File::Find::name =~ /bBackupb/) or ($File::Find::name =~ /bSecurityb/) or ($File::Find::name =~ /.txt$/) ) { print $File::Find::name; print "n"; unlink $File::Find::name; } }

I don't like PERL very much, I'll try rewriting it in Python.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

[snip]

I have that data book (and I designed the output stage). Unfortunately my general purpose machine, with the scanner on it, took a dive this afternoon. PII, ten years old, 400MHz, originally had Win95 on it, now has Win2K ;-)

So it'll be several days to a week before I have a replacement up and running :-(

(Right now I'm running off my laptop which has only Eudora, Agent and PSpice on it :)

I am presently using SwitcherCAD III and am having problems with rotating objects. The rotate command in the edit menu is always grey, even if I have selected the object. The ctrl-R shortcut doesn't work too.

Can anyone tell me how to rotate the object?

(I read in the help menu about something called "object sprited" What does that mean? How do I use this to activate the rotate command in the edit menu?)

Reply to
stan

Jim Thompson caused an illegal operation in module at snipped-for-privacy@example.com and will be closed:

^^^^^^^^

10 year old Pentium II? :) My 233MHz Pentium is just 6 years old. It's still alive - I am using it to post this (and to browse the Internet, and to run small simulations in LTSpice - it has only 64MB RAM and 1.6GB hard drive). []s
--
Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor@hotmail.com http://marreka.no-ip.com

The subject says it all. I did the Google and Yahoo thing with no luck.

While we are at it, I am also looking for any info on EP220 power transistor.

TIA.

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem
M Dot Kassem At ieee Dot org
---------------------------------------
Reply to
Mostafa Kassem

Mark, I am not sure that I understand your inquiry. I have used several "Gerber" editing tools that didn't cost more than $700 - $1200. The only time I would expect to surpass $2000 for Gerber editing tools would be if I needed a tool with full CAM capabilities that fabrication shops utilize for large volume and semi-automated operations.

-- Sincerely, Brad Velander

know

you can

what about

Reply to
Brad Velander

LT Help:

***** ....Hence, when you wish to move, mirror, rotate, drag or delete objects, first select the move, drag or delete command. *********

LTSpce is completely nonintuitive regarding how its GUI actually operates for tasks like this. Better GUIs allow, for example, SuperSpice, "move mouse over component", press the "r" key. Guess how you Mirror or Flip or even delete components:-)

Kevin Aylward snipped-for-privacy@anasoft.co.uk

SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture, Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Reply to
Kevin Aylward