pspice software help

hello all Can anyone recommend a beginning book for pspice software, I never use it before and just get it installed, thanks a lot. Cheers, B

Reply to
lixiaoyao

The classic school book is...

"SPICE, A Guide to Circuit Simulation & Analysis Using PSpice" Paul W. Tuinenga (one of the original creators of PSpice) Prentice-Hall 1995 ISBN: 0-13-158775-7

This book is out-of-print, but readily available from on-line used book stores.

If you just installed PSpice I hope you had the good fortune to have installed PSpice Schematics instead of OrCAD "Crapture".

You can download it from EMA-EDA.com as well as the Cadence/OrCAd/PSpice sites.

While PSpice Schematics is no longer supported, it's so easy to use that you can pick up the skills needed in minutes.

With "Crapture".... poor bastard ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I installed Capture CIS from OrCAD, is it good?

Could you please tell me the exactly file which I need to download?

Thank you so much for your help. Cheers, B

Reply to
lixiaoyao

It's at....

Download according to which version you are using.

You must be a registered user!

You are quite welcome!

...Jim Thompson

If you are new to Spice, you can find tutorials on the web. You can run a hand generated netlist in PSpice which will get you familiar with Spice syntax. Highly recommended to learn the traditional way before using schematic capture front-ends which make it easy to hide what is happening.

Look at the documentation that comes with PSpice. They have many PDF files which will take you through the basics of using the program. The users guide will take you through the basics of the program. The reference guide is an excellent document on PSpice and Spice commands and devices.

Another program to check out is LTspice. It's free from Linear Technology. Fully or mostly PSpice compatable syntax and is an excellent product. Poor documentation, but the LTspice group on Yahoo provides excellent help.

An answer to your other question: Yes, Spice in general is very useful. Your simulations are as good as your models which can good to horrible. You should have a general feel for the result before simulating.

--
Mark
Reply to

[snip]

Good point! I went for several years with early versions of PSpice using HAND-DRAWN schematics and typing in my own netlists ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Same here. Even when I had set up a reliable procedure to draw in OrCad and export to a PSpice netlist I kept on typing netlists. It was often faster to do that, especially with rapid changes. Well, I guess there are similar reasons why I bought a stick-shift car.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

With PSpice Schematics it's trivial to save a version to return to later. So I haven't done hand netlisting since around 1990.

Stick-shift vehicles are fun if you're drag-racing, but worthless in snail-pace freeway traffic.

The Q45 has a manual-shift section in the "PRNDxxx" pattern that allows clutchless/clickless manual shifting... 5-speeds, claimed for mountain driving or slippery surfaces... seems perfect for drag-racing to me ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Nah. They are also more fuel-efficient. Yesterday's trip to and from a client was a nightmare. A slow crawl almost all the way. I could leave it in 2nd most of the time :-(

Not being able to completely bypass the clutch/slippage in the automatic transmission can cost you tens of milliseconds versus the competition. Also, the flames coming off the exhaust could be less impressive for the spectators :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nonsense. Modern day automatic transmissions don't use the always-on "slush coupler" of years gone bye.

Want to drag ?:-) I'll beat you ;-)

...Jim Thompson

  Democrat is what we call our ignorant citizens
  Unfortunately they\'re now in the majority  :-(

Hello Jim,

Can't be nonsense. Whenever I looked at fuel efficiency claims (yes, even by the mfgs) there was a marked drop for the automatic version.

Does your car crawl when you release the brake? If so that means it is already burning more fuel per minute than mine while waiting at a traffic light. The only way to get around this is to shift to N where most modern cars reduce the idle throttle level so the RPM stays the same as if it was in D. Older ones didn't even do that.

Not with my car. Not enough horses there. But we have a neighbor who would take you up on that if enough $$ is bet. He is a professional drag racer. 40ft aluminum toy hauler and the whole works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If my youngest son was still alive(*), he'd take anyone on... with his

1500HP Mustang ;-)

(*) Died at age 33 from colon cancer, not from driving :-(

...Jim Thompson

  Democrat is what we call our ignorant citizens
  Unfortunately they\'re now in the majority  :-(

I bet he'd still want something other than a free beer as the prize... those

1500HP engines have a significant cost per mile to run!
Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Certainly ;-)

We lucked out with that engine. It never got installed in the Mustang before my son's death. Settling the estate, the machine shop that built it to my son's specifications graciously took it back and refunded the money.

...Jim Thompson

It might have been worth more when they took it back (being unused) than when they sold it to him.

Robert

Reply to
Robert