OT: Halogen Bulb Question

Installing some pendant lights in the kitchen.

They came with this Halogen bulb:

MR16 EXN+C 12V 50W

The edge of this bulb has an annoying pink emission.

Is this standard for this kind of bulb, or what should I be looking for to avoid the "pink"? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A green Sharpie?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Actually, I thought of that... except I have some "paint pens" which are higher density.

But my suspicion is that "EXN+C" is a color specification (the box says 3000K), and the "pink" is for, perhaps, make-up. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

The Phillips sheet for these does not mention a green bias, but calls the lamps as "a bright white light for accent lighting" (whatever they mean by accent lighting, I am not sure). The colour rendering index is 100 Ra8. So as I understand it they are claiming that over the eight bands, the average colour rendition is 100% in agreement with the colour of light from the sun. However that is an averaged over each band, and in your case is obviously misleading, as light sources are notoriously colour non linear (peaky).

peter

Reply to
Peter

Just got a call from 1000bulbs.com

To avoid a color bias order Halogens with a metalized reflector so the surrounding plastic doesn't add its own color.

Problem solved. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It may also be for heat control, which matters with tungsten. Some reflector bulbs use "cold mirror" coatings, which let longer wavelengths through and have lower absorption than cheap metal coatings. In recessed fixtures and track lights, that cuts down the heating of the reflector and socket.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The EXN is an ANSI code for power/beam width. See:

+C might be a reflector or filter option. Is the annoying pink on the edge of the bulb, reflector, or the illumination incident on a surface?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.