UV intensity measurement

I have a Koi Pond UV filter system, rated at 55W. Is there a simple way to measure UV intensity, or more importantly, some way of telling that the UV is degrading compared to when it was new.... Typical life is ~1Yr, some more, some less. Failure in the summer months is a real pain to deal with, especially if it's the electronics and not the bulb (the current situation for me). There's a small window on top of the unit where I can just see a faint UV glow in the pitch dark...

Reply to
TTman

I have a couple hundred, left over from a project. Send me a sase and I'll donate one.

But it sounds like you don't have much light to work with. Can you hack a path to get more UV?

Precision electronic instrumentation

On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:47:34 +0100) it happened TTman wrote in :

I have some old EPROM eraser that uses such a sterilisation tube. hard to measure, find a photo cell with UV sensitivity. I know a trick of putting a botle with London Tonic next to it, it contains Kinine, and lights up in the UV. Several other things light up in the UV.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Maybe sense the bulb current? ...Jim Thompson

Any idea of the wavelength? (Will it go through normal glass?) Maybe a photodiode... a bare photodiode (no glass cover, if the wavelenght is too short.) And then an ammeter.

George H. (I think a photodiode is my answer to all light measurement questions... maybe I need some more "tools" in my kit.)

Reply to
George Herold

There are lots of cheap glow-in-the-dark paints that are good UV to visible converters. The ones that I've tried are very fast, nanosecond stuff.

Here's a UV led hitting one...

The orange phosphor seemed to be best for dumping UV into a silicon photodiode.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Due to converns over ozone depletion, there are numerous UV light meter type products available to measure UV intensity and exposure. I don't know what wavelength range your UV light runs, but if it's a germicidal water sterilizer, it's probably UV-C in the 100 nm to 280 nm range. Make sure your prospective UV light meter works in this range. Most that I've seen only do UV-A and UV-B (280 nm to 400nm). Actually, I'm not sure you can find a cheap one that does just UV-C. Anyway, dig through this mess and see what you can find find: If you want precision, search for a UV radiometer.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Lots of UV things, like eprom erasers, have a view port to verify operation, that filters most of the UV out.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I have a UV water santiation system. It sounds like its similar to what you have.

It came with a UV monitor. A cheap gizmo calibrated from 0 to 100% of the lamp's designed output. It appears to be built around a Hamamatsu R1228 phototube.

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to get the data sheet for this and design something around it.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

The problem with this approach: UV lamps emit some light in the blue (visible) spectrum as well. From what I've been told, with age, the UV emissions (germicidal lamps are around 265 nm) decay at a faster rate than the visible light. Something to do with the lamp's glass degrading.

They make (and I have) a UV monitor for a sterilization system. Its an expensive piece of junk (about $500). But its built around a relatively inexpensive phototube designed for UV monitoring.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.

[snip]

I've got lots of these from past projects. One wrong connection and 'Pht!'

I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Marvin Minsky
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Lots of UV things, like eprom erasers, have a view port to verify operation, that filters most of the UV out.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
[/quote]

My little UV eprom eraser uses a short piece of round acrylic rod, about 1/8
or 3/16" diameter.  The end by the bulb has a blob of fluorescent green
paint covering the end and the last 1/4" (all dimensions are from memory
:-)), and the other end sticks through the case.  The rod acts as a light
pipe transporting the green glow to the outside without letting any UV out
since the acrylic doesn't transmit it.  There may be a 90 degree bend in the
rod to block direct line of sight around the rod, or I may be remembering
another device.  The green glow is quite visible with room lights on.  You
just have to find something that fluoresces in the visible when pumped with
the UV-C region and not UV-A or UV-B.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames