Meat Thermometers

Anyone have a brand of meat thermometer (probe with display external to oven) that lasts more than one turkey season?

Seems to be something about the probes getting corrupted.

Maybe roll your own? ...Jim Thompson

Check out Omega Engineering.

What you\'re looking for is a probe you can insert into the bird with
leads long enough to get to a meter with the oven door closed.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

I hope the $20 one I just bought from Lowes lasts a while. I have seen them working well on an outside grill with chicken. It has Silicon type wire going to the meter. I would not use it on an indoor oven for fear of damaging the seal on the door. Self cleaning ovens are very handy! John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Hey.. That's a tricky call.

bet you get told you do thinks backwards?

W8-Counter-Clock-Wise

Reply to
Jamie

--
http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=KTSS_JTSS_chb&ttID=KTSS_JTSS_chb&Nav=

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=SMPW-CC&ttID=SMPW-CC&Nav=

http://www.omega.com/guides/Results.html

JF
Reply to
John Fields

For meat I'd just order a long omega stainless steel jacketed probe, type k. For a fixed install you can get ceramic dual hole beads, alumina or mullite ceramic tubing , glass wool based wire, ceramic wool, etc for cheap, and then a 25-50$ velleman or fluke voltmeter for the readout. All this is 40-50 year old industrial technology and cheap. Omega or McMaster -Carr have this stuff for cheap. Heck some of the low cost fluke dmms come with the meat probe type TC in the package.

just like the phone company, on a tc, red = negative. That is about all you need to know.

The fixed install stuff will remind you of hook and peg wiring.

And if you feel the need to breadboard something:

Steve

Reply to
osr

this is the classic meat probe, but i'd get a 12" model.

Steve`

Reply to
osr

check out Sur La Table. You can get a good one there. Pricey but they last. Closest one to you is probably Ray Road. We always went to the one in Kierland and there is one at Fashion Square on Camelback and SDL road.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

Yep. At Ray Road is also AJ's Fine Foods ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I do miss AJ's. Good news is a French chef opened up a shop here. Dont know what possessed him to hop the pond and pick Marble Falls, TX but I'm glad he did. The breads and soups are excellent. Life is good, I can have a big egg/sausage/bacon breakfast burrito one day and a ham/cheese/mushroom croissant the next.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

Yes, I refer to my station as the backwards station... Contacts in Law Enforcement always come back with W8 "Carrying Concealed Weapon"

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

I just drove through Marble Falls on my way to Lago Vista. Nice looking little town. I was on a job in Dripping Springs and thought avoiding 290 traffic and MoPac traffic would be nice....

Reply to
Jon