Looking for PCB design rules book

Hi, I am looking for a book which I can learn from some good PCB design rules. I am looking for a professional and exaustive pubblication.

Regards.

E.

Reply to
SBS

25-page PDF (385kB)
*-universities-*-*-*-*-*-are-*-including-it-as-*-reference-material-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+zz-zz+qq+*-major-*-PCB-*-package-*-*-included-it-in-their-Help-system

BTW, if you are considering EAGLE, read this:

**What's Wrong with Cadsoft EAGLE** by Markus Zingg
*-*-website+reuse+paying.*+*-I-will-switch+cracked-*+*.would.not.help.*+zzz+after-*-*-version-*+copied+*.*.unlock.*.designs+*-*-*-*-exchange-*-*-*-*-third-party+reused+qq+*-*-single-bit-*-*-*-*+useless+*-*-*-projects-could-no-longer-be-opened
Reply to
JeffM

*-universities-*-*-*-*-*-are-*-including-it-as-*-reference-material-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+zz-zz+qq+*-major-*-PCB-*-package-*-*-included-it-in-their-Help-system

The only thing I don't like about this tutorial is his over insistence that things 'look nice'. For example he gives it as the most important reason for adding a chamfer to a T junction.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

JeffM (jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com) ha scritto:

::: I am looking for a book which I can learn from ::: some good PCB design rules.

:: 25-page PDF (385kB)

Thank you, I'll definetely read this tutorial :-)

Is there anything else which I can learn from, please?

Reply to
SBS

*-universities-*-*-*-*-*-are-*-including-it-as-*-reference-material-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+zz-zz+qq+*-major-*-PCB-*-package-*-*-included-it-in-their-Help-system

The real reason to add a chamfer to a T junction is faulty etching processes tend to over etch sharp corners. They also tend to leave etchant in sharp corners, and that will ruin a fine line board at some future time.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

*-universities-*-*-*-*-*-are-*-including-it-as-*-reference-material-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+zz-zz+qq+*-major-*-PCB-*-package-*-*-included-it-in-their-Help-system

Reply to
Mr. Wizard

*-universities-*-*-*-*-*-are-*-including-it-as-*-reference-material-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+zz-zz+qq+*-major-*-PCB-*-package-*-*-included-it-in-their-Help-system

Thanks very much for that link. I will read it carefully!

Andy C

Reply to
Andy C

Chuck, Not an issue with modern etchants and cleaning systems. Not like 15 - 20 years ago, right angle corners are not considered acid traps these days.

Brad Velander

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.

SBS, There are many good books, some/most at a fairly advanced level. There are others that may be okay for just a beginner but usually leave you wanting more by the time you are finished the basics they discuss.

There is also the industry magazine Printed Circuit Design and Manufacturing, see link. You can subscribe for a mailed copy if you qualify but most designers receive the magazine via email announcements of each new release in PDF format through their website. I don't believe they are as restrictive with electronic subscriptions because their costs are much lower.

Books that are considered must owns by most PCB Designers:

Right the First Time: a Practical Handbook on High Speed PCB and System Design, by Lee W. Ritchey, John Zasio, and Kella J. Knack (Paperback - Jun

2003) Also check out
, Lee has many technical papers on his web site.

Coomb's Printed Circuits handbook, by Clyde F. Coombs (Hardcover - Aug 27,

2001) (The PCB Designer's Bible)

Signal integrity Issues and Printed Circuit Board Design, by Douglas Brooks (Hardcover - Jun 24, 2003) Also check out

Douglas has many technical papers on his web site.

High-Speed Digital Design (A Handbook of Black Magic), Howard W. Johnson and Martin Graham Prentice Hall, 1993; ISBN 0-13-395724-1

High-Speed Signal Propagation (Advanced Black magic), Howard W. Johnson and Martin Graham Prentice Hall, 2003; ISBN 0-13-084408-X

Don't overlook PCB manufacturing issues as well. If you don't understand the manufacture of PCBs, then you are sure to cause yourself and the fabricator endless headaches. As you become more familiar with the process you will then understand the fabricators process limitations and how they will effect your designs.

Fabricating Printed Circuit Boards (Demystifying Technology), by Jon Varteresian (Paperback - Jun 15, 2002)

Can't attest for this book, it is probably good as at least a primer. Almost nobody has a book that is the latest and greatest on fabrication, it changes too quickly and is fabricator dependant. Even IPC technical papers are usually not bleeding edge by the time they are published. Once you have the basics down pat, you can read individual fabricators capabilities guides and understand where they are.

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brad Velander

Sure, I agree, but what if you are using Olimex in Bulgaria as your supplier?

Everything I get from them, reminds me greatly of what used to be standard practice when I worked at a PCB manufacturer 35 years ago.

(eg, flaky solder mask, 10 mil minimum trace, variable hole plating thickness...)

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Brad Velander ( snipped-for-privacy@SpamThis.com) ha scritto:

:: There are many good books, some/most at a fairly :: advanced level.

They seems very interesting, thank you very much!

Reply to
SBS

Yeah, That sounds familiar alright! Been there seen that also. 8^>

--
Sincerely,
Brad Velander.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Brad Velander

Take a lok at these two book lists on Amazon:

GC

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP