How draw electrical drawings?

Hope this is the right place for this questions:

  1. When making drawings that use symbology such as electrical schematics for PLC and control circuits..... what SIZE should thee symbols be drawn at

  1. Should the symbols be in model space and all text labels be in pspace? Or everything in mspace?

  2. Can one draw the WHOLE circuit in mspace and then cut up the diagram to separate sheets using layouts in pspace?

Bottom line.... what proper procedure for such symbolic type drawings?

Reply to
me

Whatever size is convenient for your use.

Protel works on an 0.1" grid - component pins are 0.1" apart (or some multiple thereof).

I suspect you're using AutoCad - electronic CAD programs don't have these different "spaces"

In electronic CAD programs, everything is done in one "space" which represents a single sheet when printed. If the circuit or system won't fit on a single sheet, split it up into multiple drawings.

(I use ACad for simple 2D mechanical drawings - don't know which "space" I work in, but it's the same one I'd use for schematics, if I had to use ACad for schematics.)

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Yes I am using AutoCAD

I guess I should really look into a specialized app for schematics huh?

Reply to
me

Depends - if you are drawing schematics that will eventually become PC boards, then you do want an electronic CAD package, as such packages will make sure that your board layout matches the schematic.

If you are just doing general documentation of wiring harnesses or system cable connections, a mechanical drafting program is OK - you can just ignore all the spurious stuff like dimensioning, 3D views, etc.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
GPS and NMEA info and programs: http://vancouver-webpages.com/peter/index.html
Newsgroup new user info: http://vancouver-webpages.com/nnq
Reply to
Peter Bennett

Greetings,

You best source for general drafting advice is probably a manual drafting text book, unless your company (if applicable) has its own drafting standards. Do keep in mind that the recommended dimensions are just that -- recommendations. I personally never felt compelled to follow every drawing standard to the "letter".

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

Reply to
Richard Kanarek

See also, AutoCAD Electrical.